How to buy insurance??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 4-Leaf, Dec 8, 2003.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

So -- I've been thinking I better get some business liability insurance. I called the agency which handles my car and my home. The lady says she'll have to check with their "underwriter." wtf??

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Any suggestions for me? What should I expect to pay for a small policy on about $15,000 worth of equipment (including the trailer.)
    (With about 250,000 liability) I assume the truck will be covered under my exisiting auto policy.

Also -- what about worker's comp insurance? Check with the same agency? ---- or are there better ways to go about this?

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

4 - leaf

I have found that most under writers will only do 1,000,000$ policies. I would look in the yellow pages and find a company that deals with businesses exsclusively.

3. capmaint

capmaint LawnSite Member

Check with American Family....I was quoted $400/year for similar coverage. However, if you are using your tuck for commercial purposes, or have put signs on it, dont count on your personal auto carrier to cover you.....
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have all my insurance covered under Nationwide Insurance. That includes full coverage commercial truck insurance, $1,000,000 in liability, and about $20,000 worth of equipment theft insurance. i believe my costs for it all was $1500 a year.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Look in the yellow pages under insurance and look for ads that mention "business liability insurance" or "contractor liability insurance". It's a rather specialized industry that only a few companies get into.

I know that American Family does have good rates on contractor's insurance. I think ours is through Clarendon Nat'l Insurance co. But when it's time to get more, I may just go with Amer. Fam. I think they were cheaper.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when I started out I had $1 million liability and $20,000 property and it cost around $1,200 a year
  7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also in the process of looking and called around recently to get quotes. Allstate, with $10,000 equipment coverage and $300,000 liability=$984/yr. Another local co.(don't remember name) $535/yr for just a $1,000,000 policy. Still calling around because I want $10-20,000 equipment coverage and at least $ 1 mil liablity policy. Good luck to ya. Just keep on calling.
  8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Don't even think of 250000 in coverage! go with a mil. the cost is but a couple of dollars.
    If you served in the military or national guard. USAA is a very good and more than reasonable.
    for a mil. and 25 grand in coverage it runs me at 850. if you get rid of the equiptment coverage it was 475.
    they also do workmans comp and such.
    good luck.
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -