How to change Hydro Oil on Scag Pro V?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dobronos, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dobronos

dobronos LawnSite Member

Hello, I will be changing the hydro oil filter along with all of the hydro oil tomorrow. I was wondering if someone could give me a specific step by step on how to do the whole process? The machine is a 2010 Scag Pro V Walk Behind. Thanks - Mike

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You don't change all the oil, the only thing you do is change filter and replace oil lost...it should be covered in your manual. You risk more danger draining the hydro system then just changing the filter and topping the old oil off with new.

Yes you can drain it all...if you know what you are doing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. dobronos

dobronos LawnSite Member

So do you drain the oil tank and remove the filter? And then put the new filter on and add oil to the tank?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

You can download an owners manual on the Scag site, should give ya instructions.
    But basically, just drain the tank and replace the filter. Refill and your good to go.
    Any more then that, and it gets a little complicated. The above is all ya need to do.

5. dobronos

dobronos LawnSite Member

Ok thanks! - Mike

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I don't even drain the tank...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need to get as much of that oil out as possible so I pump it out. These oils are definitley not standing up to the 110F temp we are running under. This is the opinion of the shop where I buy my equipment. And if the unit is a 2010 and this is the first change not good reguardless of hours.In our market we are seeing a lot of hydro and wheel motor problems.