1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to change tires

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MattG, Jun 24, 2004.

1. MattG

MattG LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

I need to replace all the tires on my JD lawn tractor. The dealer wants almost $250 to do this:eek:

My main question is how do I get the old tire off, and the new tire on the wheel? I don't want to damage the new tire with screwdrivers, and I can't find anyplace that sells "tire spoons", although Harbor Freight does have a small tire machine for under $30.

I plan on taking a wire wheel in my die grinder to clean the inside of the wheel and possibly re-paint the rim to help the new tires seat. Then using the rope trick and a high volume compressor to get the tire bead seated.

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated. TIA
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

buy yur tires where ever, take em to a tire shop and have em put em on. less hassle, safer. Slip ole Joe the tire geezer a 5'er as a tip! We do lawn mower tires where I work for 2.50 a tire if you just walk in with the tires and rims.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

northern tool has the minature tire spoons, but they are kinda exspensive, I have changed mine before and I like xcopterdoc 's idea lol
  4. MattG

MattG LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Thanks for the idea about the shop. I asked a few shops and none can do a 5" wheel. It won't fit on their machine. I know a shop manager so if he could do it, he would. They don't leak to bad so I will call around some more.

Thanks for the replies.
  5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

look for gokart tire tools stuff like that they use that stuff on racing go karts and the stuff is fairly cheep jat