How to charge for 2nd guy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by M&MLawn, Apr 9, 2008.

1. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

I have been doing this solo and then sometimes with a high school or college age student.

I am trying to figure out now that I am working with a more experienced person, how to charge the customer for this.

Say I am paying them $15 an hour. And say I normally charge $60 an hour. Would you then charge the customer $75 per hour for two guys or would you charge the full $120 an hour?

Thanks!

2. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

still charge 60 an hour to the customer. ur working faster, so theroretically you should be able to get more work done in a day.

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

$60 per man hour or 120 per clock hour with 2 people. i hope that is what you meant hockeypro

4. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

If he is adding a second guy, why not charge 120 an hour and do it twice as fast. Charging 60 per hour for 2 people is giving him more work and less income.

60 per hour, 1 man op, equals 60 per hour.
    60 per hour, 2 man op, equals 45 per hour and 15 per hour, working twice as fast.
    120 per hour, 2 man op, equals 105 per hour and 15 per hour, working twice as fast.

At 120 per hour, his customers are spending the same amount of money as they were before, but this allows him to pick up additional work, and make an extra 45 bucks an hour by having help. That is the whole point of hiring employees. Using your equipment and your company to generate more income without having to do all of the work yourself.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Actually it doesn't matter how many guys you bring to a site you still have to mow or do work at prices similiar to competition.

6. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

Yes exactly....thats why Im trying to figure out how the others in the field charge. i dont need an actual dollar amount just say x2 for two men or x1.5 for two men...things like that.

7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

charge 120.00/hr

8. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

You need to charge $15 more per hour for the employee's wages, I'm guessing somewhere around 2.50 for workman's comp, another 2.50 employment tax. So right there you need to charge 20 bucks more an hour just to break even. If your new guy can match your output, you should charge double the rate. If he is half as productive as you, you should charge 50% more, which means you're only making an extra $10 an hour for the trouble of having an employee, paying the extra fees, counting on him to show up since you are going to have to have the extra production to continue charging the higher rate, etc.

It all comes down to how much you want to make for your additional trouble.

9. Bo614

Bo614 LawnSite Member

this makes no sence?? so lets say you have a yard that takes a hour to cut and trim ect and you charge 60 per hour... ok you take that say yard and lets say you have 4 people total so you would charge 240 per hour..because thats 4x 60 and you think you caould get it done in 15 minutes? probally not even with that you would still take at least 30 i would think becasue you can only go so fast and charging 120 would kill you in a minute????:confused:

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

This Post makes no sense to me ..........

If the markett brings 60.00 for this lawn, or whatever your bidding on,

then that's what it brings!!!!!!!!

I guess I dont get it, Why would you want to recharge someone because you have a helper ?

I have a crew of 3 men, Today they mowed 9 accounts.

that's roughly 25 to 27 acers of grass....

that brings me in "X" ammount of money,

I have to pay these guys "X" for doing it, "X" For equiptment and so on....

If I were solo I could maybe get 6 to 7 of these acers cut.

see how it works...

6 to 7 for 1 person......spending the same in fuel, drive time, and such

12 to 14 for two.

25 to 27 for 3

this is why I dont understand your Question.....

it's simple math

an employee WILL make you money, If he doesn't FIRE HIM,