How To Charge For Edging

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by steviepowers, Feb 6, 2006.

1. steviepowers

steviepowers LawnSite Member

Just starting out and planning on charging a secondary fee for edging. Is this normal, and if so what is a general rule for charges on edging. Thanks to everyone for the info and help.

2. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

we charge at least $1 a foot. Or base it hourly depending on size of job.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

driveways and sidewalks are built into my price structure for mowing, just like trimming is... edging of beds i charge by the foot

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick edging we charge .85 cents per linear foot for residential & $1.00 per linear foot for commercial.

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i include it in my price of mowing . i dont think that should be an extra service , it really makes your properties stand out .

6. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Edging a sidewalk should be included in the price already, I may charge for the initial edging of a property that we just take on (providing it hasnt been done in a very long time). At the most for a standard size I would charge $10.

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Edging is built into the cost per service.

Regular edging is a quick and effective way to provide professional results.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

What is a linear foot as compared to just a foot?? Ive never been able to figure that out. Also, when edging as part of the lawn maintenance, do you end up having to pick up small chuncks of sod afterward from doing it around the beds or how does that work? I can understand you would have to clean off the driveway and walks after edgin that. THanks

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

in the flower or mulch beds i charge seperate for that , so yes i clean up the bits of sod and stuff
    but for regular maintenance, the edging of hard surfaces, (sidewalks and drivesways) is added into the price, and ive always been able to just use the blower and clean up the sidewalk with no problem...if the first edging is tough, and would need a cleanup, i do add some for that.. but usualy i just blow it off and its fine :)

10. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Charging extra? never heard of it.... We include all edging in our weekly price. Why would you not want the property to look as good as it possibly can? and what's it take you? an extra 5 minutes maybe? I'd rather charge a couple more dollars and make everything included than to give them the option of not doing it and making the lawn I cut not as "professional"