1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to charge for edging???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by biggin69, Mar 8, 2007.

1. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

How do you recommend that I charge for edging? I am talking about drive & walkways using a power edger?
  2. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean a stick edger/ trimmer one, or using a walk behind one? Walk behind i would charge more because you have to get it out, setup and is harder to manuevar.
  3. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Edging should be included in your price. I edge every time I cut the grass. When you quote your price to your customer, you will have to figure in the amount of time it will take you to do the whole job. I try to figure a dollar a minute. So if it takes you 20 minutes to cut the grass, 10 minutes to weedwack, 5 minutes to edge and 5 minutes to blow the grass off the walk ways and load your trailer, then that's a 40 minute job. You should charge $40.00.
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

always include edging in the price. its a package. mow, edge, trim, and blow. thats the basic guidlines to lawn care.
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I can't think of anything to add that hasn't already been said. Jus tmake sure you figure the time to do each part of thejob correctly. Don't stiff yourself.
  6. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

If I take over a property that hasnt been edged in a long time I take that into consideration on the price. If I maintain the property regularly it is included in my price. The dollar a min is an OK "rule of thumb" but you should really know your man hour rate. Also make an expense sheet to know what your bills are. You may be able to run at a dollar a min but remember we are doing this for a living...dont sell yourself or your quality short.
  7. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

Walk behind powered edger.

I do include it in the price for my regular accounts but If I pick up an account that has not been edged in 20 years, I will have to charge somehow. I will look into the $1 per minute. Thanks Guys!
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Charge whatever you hourly rate is.
  9. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $25 to stick edge an avg. lot it is never included around here that I have seen...usually the edges are done by flipping the trimmer around and doing it...I tell people to stick edge once a month and I will maintain the edge in between monthly edging services with the trimmer upside down. No complaints, actually, I have had lots of compliments on my edging and trimming.
  10. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

just a thought but i never tell a customer what they can do. i can always do it better! $$$$$