How to charge for pesticide/fertilizing program

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acerdavidi, Feb 23, 2000.

1. Acerdavidi

Acerdavidi LawnSite Member

Getting into a five-step fertilizing program and i am wondering what is the best way to charge and if a five step program is the best way to go. Also, would each application be the same price or would it vary according to chemical used?<p>----------<br>David<br>Northeast Ohio

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge the same for all 5 applications.<p>Get $20.00 stop fee + 3.00/1000 square foot.<p>So: 5,000 sq. ft. would be $35.00/application.<br>15,000 sq. ft. would be $65.00/application.<br>

3. Acerdavidi

Acerdavidi LawnSite Member

Thanx a lot Lazer this will help me out.

4. slagerlawncare

slagerlawncare LawnSite Member

How can you charge the same for all apps? My cost/unit is different for each different application.

5. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

i have read in alot of post that a real pro covers all areas of lawn care, i have no experience working with fertilizer and dont even know what a 5 step program consists of, how do you go about learning about this, college courses maybe, books... and after you learn what does it take to get a licence.<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

6. Lazer

slager,<br>Make sure your service agreement includes all 5 apps. If you charge all different amounts, you confuse the customer. Material costs shouldn't vary that greatly anyway.<p>cjcland,<br>I don't know what they use in Florida, I'd consult a University that has a southern turfgrass program.

7. slagerlawncare

lazer,<br>i know that i wouldn't tell customer my cost/unit..but when you say 3$per 1000 is that figulatively speaking? Say for instance i have 1 program that is 5.79 per 1000 sg ft. this is a cost my fert. rep came up with.is that what i would list (5.79 per 1000 and 20$ stop fee)on my service agreement?is that what your trying to tell my thick skull? :)<p>thanks

8. Lazer

20.00 + 3.00/1000 your fee per APP.<br>The 5.79/1000 is your cost of fert. per YEAR.<p>Your yearly fee would be 100.00 + 15.00/1000.<p>BTW: My pricing structure requires 5 aaplications. I do not apply 1#N in the spring apps.<p>BTW: You can get all this information and more by asking friends and relatives to give you their lawn app. bids. So many companies openly market their services, I have 200+ different bids in my files from competitors.

9. slagerlawncare

thanks

10. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I have done some extensive thinking on this subject. I have concluded that it is best to charge the same price for each application regardless of the material used. ( I guess if you were doing a one time exotic app, you could charge more). <p>The way that I have figured out the prices is to take the material cost for all your apps per season, add that up. Now take your labor , overhead, and profit costs, and add that up for the whole year. Add the two together. Divide by the munber of applications, and you have your price.<p>Some applications will make you more money than others because of the cost of the material involved. Later in the season is when the most profits are made, because then it is generally straight fertilizer, and the material costs are lowest.<p>There are a few reasons that I have decided that this pricing plan is best. For one, it is simple for the customer to understand. Most are ignorant of what is actually being done, and don't realize that the material costs vary from application to application. <p>Another is that if you were to price your 5 apps at $40, $40, $50, $30, and $30, then the customer may decide that the $50 application is not necessary. That $50 app is the grub control, and can be the most important one of the year. You don't want them dictating which apps to put down. <p>As far as pricing goes, I am sure that it varies in different parts of the country. LAzer gave a good start. <p>I have seen some prices higher than what he gave, and also some lower. I guess it depends on site conditions, location, customer expectations. <p>I would like to hear some actual numbers from others as to what they are charging.