How to charge for planting?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nwlandscaping, Apr 4, 2007.

1. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

We are submitting a bid to rip out some of the dying/existing plants and install new ones. This potential client was given a layout by another landscaping company to give her yard more curb appeal. Apparently, this company doesn't have the time to start on this anytime soon. My question is we've done other installs before (much larger), but after reading on this site I'm starting to question how we charge for certain items. Should there be a charge for each plant that is planted or by the hour? Most of the plants are 1 gallon with the exceptional 5g. Also she needs new bark laid down so I'm thinking we should charge per yard rather than by hour as well. It seems that anything that can be broken down into numbers is better off having a set rate rather than per hour so the client can't complain; with the exception being weeding. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure we charge roughly 40% of the retail value per plant, unless there was some sort of agreement with the owner.

3. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

now with the 40% value of the plant charge, do you offer a warnty on the plant?

Just wandering, because I often have customers taht want to go to the garden center and pick out what they want.

4. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

A one year warranty on most of the plants. We buy for wholesale which is half the price of retail (in our area at least). So even if the plant dies and we replace it we aren't losing money. We are just out some of our profit.

5. mulchmaster

from ohio

Hey thanks. I try to buy wholesale when I can, but I have been getting customers that like to "pick out our own" I don't know how to handel this.:dizzy:

6. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

Well if you get the customers that "pick" their own. I would also let them pay for it themselves, and you do not warranty it. If that's the case for us we let the customers buy their plants, and when we install them we charge what we feel comfortable with for the amount of work it takes.

7. mulchmaster

from ohio

I have a customer now that wants to "pick her own" about 20 perrinials, and she asked how much. I told her you buy the materials and we will install them for $200. She never said anything about a gaurentee but if anything dies I will replace it.

8. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

You can replace it, but don't do it on your dime. If the house isn't out of the way, well sure replacing a couple plants isn't a big deal, but don't pay for them. Ya know?

9. mulchmaster

from ohio

O yea! the customer bought the plants, they must buy new ones. We mow the grass and bed maintancepayup so replanting them is not a big deal. :weightlifter:

10. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

When you buy your plants wholesale do you pass that on to the customer or do you charge them the normal retail for each plant? I've heard that other landscaping companies charge for each plant, but I wonder if charging 40% of its retail value would work. I haven't tried this but I've also heard that its usually a safe bet to double the cost of materials and that will be your price for labor. Any truth to this?