How to charge for pulling and planting shrubs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jayycrew, Feb 1, 2006.

1. jayycrew

jayycrew LawnSite Member

I normally charge around $45.00 an hr to do shrub trimming or bed prepping. When a customer needs for ex: 8 5 gal boxwood and 8 7 gal Indiana Houthorns what should I charge?

2. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

3. jayycrew

jayycrew LawnSite Member

Why would I need to contact TDA?

4. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

probably refering to you needing a landscape contractor license...im not sure just a guess. As far as price, I would just estimate how long each task will take and use your hourly rate you normally charge.

5. Bigtreeman

Bigtreeman LawnSite Member

Easy man just mark up the plant (3.5) maybe...

here is an example

3 gallon Hosta $19.99 charge $60 planted

All depends on the job, client and so on and your experiance. Dont charge alot unless you can do a proffesional job.

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

the nurshery i go to gives me 10% off the retail. i would find a place like that. then charge retail to the customer

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know cuz I dont know the planting situation.
    But just for the planting in easy soil with no amending needed I would probably charge $200.00
    thats without the plants or your markup on the plants

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You don't want to do it that way..you will never make any money that way..you need to mark up your plants at the very least 25% and keep your money from your discount at the nursery as well

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

right now i do fine on pocket cash. its just me and if i need help i call my brother.

10. 04silverado

04silverado LawnSite Member

I asked a local guy in the business the other day, for my own info, and he told me one and a half times the retail price of the plant. Example 75.00 total to plant one 50 dollar shrub or tree, your cost may be lower but you nursery should give you a retail and wholesale price list.