How to charge for snow removal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by All Season Lawn, Oct 30, 2007.

1. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I was wondering how you go about charging for snow removal? I realize there are several factors that play into this. Is there a square foot charge or by the minute charge? Obviously it depends on the amount of snow we get too.
    Any help would be great, alot of customers have been asking about it.

2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

You need to go to Plowsite.com. Same people that run this site run that one too. Really good info there. Do a search on the subject.

3. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with mojob but here is a quick tide bit

Most people charge by hour or by sq ft

Our goal is all of our trucks make at least 100/hr pr hour if we make less we look at circumstances around that. In kansas city the going rate is about 100 dollars per acre that is the baseline we use for our jobs. We will not touch anything for less than 100 dollars period. Sidewalk are $15 per 100 sq ft for large lots again we won't touch a side walk for less than 30 dollars we have seperate crews do sidewalks and parking lots in typical storm most of our trucks make 1200 dollars there subcontract work.

Hope that helps

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

cod,
    Sorry to get off the subject, but how much do you pay to subs for a plow truck a hour, and how much for a salt truck a hour? 450 dumper with a spreader.
    Thanks...:)

5. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Budget

We are one of the few companies in the city that pays % of jobs and not by hour so how much they make per hour is up to them but for them it averages out to about 100/hr. Most contractors have close to 1400 dollars per route. We split routes 70(them) 30(us) again we know this is high but in six years of doing this no claims on their trucks two complaints for close to 200 acres of snow removal so we have good subs and we pay well so it works for us.

Salt works same way we pay them 40% of job but salt is free so we make about 25% of job again I know that it is high but you get the point.