How to Charge for Yard Waste? NEED HELP.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jdamhof, Apr 1, 2012.

1. jdamhof

jdamhof LawnSite Member

This year I won the bid for a retirement community (trailer park). The bid is only for the common areas and it is all pretty nice. Now after mowing twice so far the Owner asked me if I could also take care of yard waste. It seems pretty straightforward. The residents clean up their own yard and place clippings/leaves in a brown paper compost sack (the type Menards sells) and place it all in a designated area for pick up. I don't know how to charge for this. I was thinking around $3 per bag or something, I just need to load it and haul to the brush site and drop it off. It's not more than a few miles out of the way for me to stop by the brush site. How do you guys bill for this type of service?

2. J & K Lawn Service

J & K Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I think $3 is a fair price.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Do a flat rate per home. This way some will leave some don't but you will always make the same amount each week. Limit it to 3 bags per.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

you should determin what it will directly cost you to perform this service. fuel labor travel time ect. Having a general idea of the maxium debri load you could possibly have is helpful. You simply charge what it costs you to perform this service plus your profit.

charging 3 dollars for stopping, then getting out of the truck and picking up just 1 bag and taking it a few miles to the dump, I doubt is covering your direct cost. I realize you think this is a insignificant task and will be done on the run, But this simple and insignificant task could take 20 minutes to sometimes a 1/2 hr is 3 dollars half your hourly labor rate plus disposal.

5. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

Grandview and stillwater are both right. You wan't to have a monthly rate and a limit of 3 bags plus $3 for every bag after that. I would say $8 to $12 a month.

6. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

$12 a month sounds more than fair, that way you know everyone should be able to afford it.