How to check control dampeners?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TurfPro, May 8, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Not to harp on the subject,(it's been discussed enough lately)but I've noticed for some time that my Lazer HP has begun to feel more touchy while executing turns. At first I thought it was me but I have a fellow LCO drive it and he too feels it.
    My question: How do you check your dampeners to make sure they are working correctly? Are there any adjustments that will allow more "free play" in the levers?

Thank You Exmark for your time and for this Forum

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TurfPro:

Thanks for the post. If you take the dampener off the machine to test it, be sure to point the end of the dampener with the rod down. If you don't do this, you'll get inaccurate test results.

Usually you can tell if the dampeners are going bad by the amount of slop in the controls. Remember when you first got your Lazer HP? When you pushed forward, you felt a little resistance there and when you pulled back to reverse they slowly came forward. If they're going bad, you'll be able to move them back and forth easily.

If you're not sure whether or not they are going bad, inspect the rod of the dampener. If you see some oil on the dampener rod, this indicates that the seal is broke. If the seal is broke, they won't last long. If you notice that it is leaking, I would get a replacement dampener now.

You also asked about adjusting the drive levers for more "free play." Why would you want more play or slop in the levers? That would make them more jerky (Is there such a word as jerky?) because you would have to move the drive lever even farther forward before the mower moved. Once it moved, you would have a very short distance to get up to speed, unless we lengthened the slots and made some other changes to how the drive levers stroke the pumps. Let me know your thoughts here when you get a chance.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Thanks Dustin,

What I'm looking for is a more "linier" feel right at the beginning of the lever movement. Does that make any sense? hehe.
    I test drove a Hustler Super Z the other day and it had a more gradual engagement right at the beginning of the lever movement both forward and reverse. I guess you might call this less responsive right from the get go,,,, and now that I'm thinking about it you did have to push the Hustler levers MUCH further forward to get top speed,,that I didn't like.The gates for the levers were much more elongated so I guess this allowed the more linier feel.
    Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

4. eXmark

Hey TurfPro,

There are several things that could cause the controls on the Hustler Z to feel a little different, like the design and position of the drive levers, the type of dampeners used, the types of pumps used, etc. They do use a different dampener, but it's probably a combination of things that makes their controls feel a little different.

Do you have the adjustable drive levers on your Exmark? On the adjustable drive levers, you can put them in a high or low position. If they are in the high position, move them down and see what you think. If you need the leg room, you'll have to keep them in the upper position.

Talk to you later,

Dustin

5. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Sounds good, I'll try it.

Thanks Dustin & thanks again for the customer service

6. arkydog

arkydog LawnSite Member

On my Lazer Z that is about 5 years old (870 hrs) only one of the dampers is leaking. Should I replace only the leaking one or replace them both at the same time??????

Thanks

arkydog

7. eXmark

arkydog,

It really depends. If the two feel similar it's not a big deal. If the other doesn't have a "dead" spot in it you won't really effect the hydro system. The real problem is going to be feel. If one side is more responsive than the other it can get a little quirky backing up for example.

Thanks

Terry