1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to clean out an old gas tank.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, I posted this in the Repair forum but didn't get very god exposure.

I have a Toro WB that sat for a while (previous owner). It runs great and all but I see varnish collecting in the fuel filter. I really think I should clean out the gas tank and am wondering how to do it.

I plan on draining all the fuel and then taking the tank off.

What chemicals should I use?

What is that stuff that yer supposed to put in it that has rocks in it and then shake it all around to loosen the gunk and varnish? Someone told me about this long age but I forgot what it is called. . .anybody know?

Also, it is a plastic tank.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.
  2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the rocks and chemicals.

After cleanign, a disposable fuel filter will do fine.

Remove tank from vehicle.

Since it has a big filler opening, I'd drain the tank through the opening. Remove grommet and petcock- be prepared to replace grommet. Then take an air blower and blow from the petcock grommet- out through the filler neck.

Some carb cleaner spray the bottom. Get it good and wet. Using a sock and a wooden yard stick, wipe it out.

Repeat sock and yard stick step.

Air dry overnight.

Air blower for any dried residue.

With new fuel line and filter.

Drain and remove carb float bowl while carb is still attached to machine. If warranted, remove and clean whole carb.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you GeeVee.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Thats is how i would do it. Some chemtool b-12 (I think is b-12, anyways something -12) carb cleaner. Its in a red, white and blue container. You can get it at walmart. It will strip paint right off of stuff, if you let it sit to long. I used a case of it every 2 months. (I do a lot of Restoration work one old equipment and tractors) It works great.