1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to clean this?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by djmn, Jun 3, 2007.

1. djmn

djmn LawnSite Member

Now that raised fire pits are becoming more popular, how do you clean soot off of block like this?

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

did u try a pressure washer and some simple green or clr
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If the powerwasher thing fails, and I think it will. I have tried it b4 on a similar issue, you could try TSP which you can buy at home cheapo it's power and is water activated. It works pretty well on all kinds of concrete stains, also muriatic acid is effective in removing stains from concrete though I have never use it on a coloredblock/paver. If forced to try acid test it on a scrap that I'm sure you have laying around. Be sure it's completely dry before you make a final judgement as to whether or not it is safe.

Good Luck,
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the TSP.
  5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

That wall should be lined with firebrick. If the blocks are glued together, the glue will fail over time from the heat. I wouldn't worry too much about the soot- its a real working fire pit... what did you expect?

I would try oven cleaner, or whitewall tire cleaner, but test it out on a small area first.
  6. forestfireguy

from nj

Sorry I meant it's powder.....Not power, fingers are faster than the brain sometimes.......
  7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Remove the caps and put new ones
  8. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Maybe you can find someone that uses a media blasting unit. The ones they use to remove graffiti. We use a system called MaxxStrip to remove calcium and minerals from everything from pool tile to stone. The media is just a little different.
  9. palmtree

palmtree LawnSite Member

It is a fire pit. It would just look like an unfinished planter if it weren't blackened. I wouldn't try to clean it unless you aren't finished with the job and someone on the crew decided to burn trash in it or something. It should be up to the owner to make the first black marks.
  10. forestfireguy

from nj

I like poolboys idea, Hey Poolboy would blasting affect the taumbled finish of the block? Maybe smoothing it out? I haven't seen what you refer to but it sounds intersting. Does in remove efflouresence staining?