How to clean trimeer carburators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Aug 7, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced a carb on one of my shindaiwa t270s and would like to know if there is someway to clean the other one without buying a whole carburator. Is there a carb cleaner like for cars or just but a new one. I know they can be cleaned im just not sure what to clean exactly. Thanks for your response.

bdemir

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Normally, you shouldn't need to clean a carb on a T270. Usually the diaphram will go bad first. If your loosing power and think it's the Carb, more than likely, it has the exhaust ports about closed off with carbon. Take off the muffler and clean out the exaust port and it will run like new again.

3. bdemir

Eric,

Thanks for the great advice. You were right it runs just like new again. There was alot of carbon and it kept coming out. You da maann!!

4. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

Eric,

Would the same resolution apply to a Stihl fs85?

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This applies to any 2 cycle engine. It is caused by not running them at high enough RPM's usually. This happens to string trimmers more than it will a blower. You run your blowers at full throttle most of the time, at least we do. When your trimming, if you can't run it at full throttle for some reason, run it at full throttle while walking over to another tree to trim around for a bit. Any time you loose power, it's normally cabon build up in the exhaust port or a pluged screen.

Glad I could help you Bdemir. That's what we are all here for.

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Eric has a good fix for the symptoms, but I know a lot of people are going to read this thread because of the carbs. If you do end up having a problem with the carb, most sell a very inexpensive rebuild kit that so you can rebuild it yourself. (If you have the patience!!) Good Luck!

7. bdemir

Guido,

How succesfull are the carb rebuild kits or how often should one be rebuilt if they are being used commercially? I ask this because i thought maybe in the winter i would rebuild all of the carbs before i store them away for winter maybe. Would this be a good standard procedure or just wait till the carbs need to be rebuilt?

Thanks for your reply.

bdemir

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

bdemir, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As far a automotive carburetor cleaner, I have heard not to use it on small equipment carbs. I am not sure the exact reason. When I was buying 100 octane unleaded for my car, I tried a little for a small parts and carb cleaner and it worked pretty good. Just throw it in and let it soak, taken apart of course.

9. bdemir

Gotchya!