1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How To Collect?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by alpine692003, Dec 9, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure most of you have encountered a situation where the the customer tells you they want some landscpaing/lawn work done. You finished completing the job, you go and knock on the door to collect the money and let them know you're finished.

You knock and knock and nobody answers the door, or doesn't pay immediately.

What do you guys do?

ie) I finish a lawn job, I go knock on the door. Nobody answers, I knock for about 10-15mins.

What do you guys do then?
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Try Sunday morning at 6 am, I'm sure someone will answer has always worked for me!

3. alpine692003

Hahahah... What if they say, uh I dont have money right now. Come back in the afternoon?

Would you go back in the afternoon, once again?
  4. what was your agreement before you started the work?
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

collecting money after every visit is going to severely hinder performance. Send them a bill once a month via the mail. If you're stopping to collect every day then you're bound to get caught up and have to listen to them gripe about their neighbors, or how their son/daughter is failing in school. I'm not saying that no-conversation is a good thing, just limit it to once a month or so.
  6. alpine692003

Ah.. That's how you guys did it eh?

I guess I'll have an agreement with the customer!

Every job visit, week, biweek, monthly!

thanks dude
  7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

If the customer is always a problem ask them to prepay for your work.

They will either go along with your idea or find someone else.

Either way you win.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Iwould tell them to get there check book now and write me a check if they say they don't have there check book I tell them go find there box of checks and take one out of order. and If that does not work I give them till the end of the day to call me on cell find out where I'm at and get it to me. And remind them the contract they signed said payed upon completion, and that If I don't have my $$$ when I'm done I'll turn it over to collections or file a lien on the home first thing Monday morning I had one guy drive over 50 miles chasing me down to give me my $$$. And I know I'm gonna hear about losing them as a customer, But the minute they did not awnser the door they became an ex-customer :gunsfirin
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

You can also consider billing in advance.