How to control Morning Glory in a lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jet boater, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that has alot of Morning Glory vines growing down in the lawn. Grass is a mix of turf type fescues. I'm in Southern IN.

What is a good application for this for this time of year? I'd probably apply with a small boom sprayer.

Thank you

2. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a lot of experience battling morning glory, but our weather is completely different than yours so I can't say whether or not the same treatment would work. The main thing I can say for sure is "Don't pull it". That just spreads the root and it doubles in size. You need to use a systemic and allow it to work into the entire system, not just burn down the green leaves--it need to go all the way through the plant.

Again, the time of year may be wrong, but in the lawn Trimec Classic has worked well for me. The best time for application is in the fall when the plant sugars are going back to the root ball. If you have an appropriate area, Roundup also works well, but proper application is essential.

The other thing I can almost guarantee you is that no matter how well it looks this fall as far as being gone, you will see more in the spring. Hit it again as soon as you see it and you might get lucky. Good luck, Will M>

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't met a weed in southern New Jersey in the last 30 years that Trimec or Lesco 3-way wouldn't kill. Some are tougher than others and require retreatment to finish and future treatments to seriously cut down repeat infestations. Good thick turf means a lot. Always, always follow the directions on the label.

Many times people are too concerned with the identification of a broadleaf weed and spome "special" treatment for them. Broadleaf weeds are the easiest lawn problem to deal with. Most commercially available controls in a geographic market place will do the job as they are quite broad spectrum. Read the label.

4. turf13

turf13 LawnSite Member

What your dealing with is most likely bindweed which is very similar to morning glory in appearance.I would recommend confront or momentum with a sticker kicker ! Very tough but controllable.