1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to create lawn stripes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 9, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the correct way to create stripes on lawns? I've been going through threads and they are all garbled up, doesn't give a clear definition of how to create lawn stripes?

What machine whould you use as well? a manual reel mower? rotary machine?
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

dixie chopper and exmark both are great ztr for striping.. strips come from the laying down of the grass in different directions. i.e. mow north to south, east to west, or anywhere in between. any time you change direction, you start a different shade of green. i personaly look to see where the sun/shade play in, and mow towards the sun, this seams to get realy good resaults. if you mow with your side to the sun, it doesn't seam to get the right shadow affect and the strips are not as noticeable. and also the kind of grass you are mowing makes alot of difference! i use alot of KY blue grass, and it strips great, needs alot of water though. i have an account that i just got this past summer and they used the cheepest grass they could find, i think it was 99% rye and it is a pale green, and won't strip at all, i seeded the crap out of it late this summer, and plugged it this fall and it's starting to (before the cold anyway) turn a deeper green and striped nice.
  3. like this
  4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Dont cut too short, Dont overlap too much, go STRAIGHT!
    Check your deck pitch.... Should be about 1/4" lower in front than in back...... Keep those blades SHARP.
    Some machines stripe better than others, some blades will work better than others.
    Hate to say it, but do some SEARCHing and you'll find hours of reading here on LS.
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Stripes are created by going in one direction and then back in the other direction. If you mow in circles or squares, you won't make stripes. Also rollers and chains will help enhance the effect.
  6. FlatLander

FlatLander LawnSite Member
    from PA

never mix stripes with plaids
  7. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Posted by alpine692003:I've been going through threads and they are all garbled up, doesn't give a clear definition of how to create lawn stripes?
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah okay, sorry.. about the other thread..

Can I use the inventek.com striping kit on my honda 21" commercial hrc216 mower? or do i need some special attachments and what not? sorry, 'im still a newbie and learning :(