How to cut Bermuda grass ?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tomt, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I have a customer that sodded part of his yard with Bermuda about two weeks ago. All my other customers have Centipede or St. Augustine and I'm not sure what is the best cutting height for Bermuda, any special tricks or technique.
    I am work in the north Florida gulf coast.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Established Bermuda can be cut from really really low (under 1" ) with a reel mower, and is cut at 3" by some in other conditons with rotary mowers. It depends on how often it's cut, what type mower you're using, and most of all how smooth the surface of the sod is. New sod is likely rough in spots so maybe 2.5" and see how it goes from there. I cut most lawns in Atlanta at 1.75" and work up to 2.25" by this time of year as it outgrows weekly mowings and gets "leggy'. Raising the height keeps a little green on it rather than looked like a shaved dog all the time.

But if you try to cut it really low and it's got edges sticking up you can literally rip it right up and eat the whole piece of sod. I'd err on the side of caution until it's rooted in well.