1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to cut efficiently which a Gear driven walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by christoff, May 9, 2005.

1. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

I know walk behind 36" / 48" and bigger decks save you time cutting, but are there any ways to cut almost as fast as a Hyrdo drive walk behind. For Instance , say your cutting a a yar which is 100X100. What is your route to complete this fastest? You can't just do the one lap around the outside, because after every time you turn around you will leave a bit of grass uncut. So what do you guys do? 2 or 3 laps around the outside first? cut your lines then do your laps.

2. Houston's

Houston's LawnSite Member

thats what i do :confused:
  3. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hydro and I still do two laps around. It make the turns just that much easier.
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

2 laps around with my Bob-Cat 48" belt drive, 2 or 3 laps around with my Toro Proline 36" belt drive.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Do the laps around last, that way you clean up the turn around marks.
  6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Buy Dual Hydro's.....Doubles Production and Reduces Fatigue on Smaller Props.

Instant Turns and Instant Reverse Are Invaluable....The only Benefit to a Belt Drive is they are Cheaper to Buy...You Always Get what You Pay For.
  7. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

i always do a couple clean-up laps first because the stripes cover up the cleanup laps and gives a better presentation.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Smart man... Me too :)
  9. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

bump to the top
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Yes, belt WB can cut efficiently BUT you won't hold that efficiency very long during your day cause "fatigue" setting in, once fatigued your productivity goes downhill... I know cause I myself use both hydro and belt.
    I will never buy a belt ever ever again. Get a twin hydro WB and a very comfortable control system and a x2 velke and you are set or a Stander or a Z. Belt is for your backup or your own yard not for a primary long-term living.