How to cut fesue?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I have a duplex/condo that I have done for 7 years. Mainly on side but for 2 or so years the other side also. The various owners must have 'scaped it themselves. The side I have done the longest is bluegrass/rye and looks great when finished. The other is fescue and looks like hell when I am done. I treat them as one lawn as they run together in back. I have told Mrs. Fescue I will have too charge more if I must treat the jobs seperate. Both = 3000 sq ft. This year Mrs. Fescue has talked Mr. Bluegrass into finding someone new. I mow both at 2 1/2". Mr Blue likes his that way. Mrs. Fescue is always griping. Sometimes I mow hers twice a little shorter (1 3/4") the second time,bag or mulch, and still it looks bad. I think I will pass on fescue lawns from now on.

Any fescue tips out there for us nothern state guys?

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sounds like you may be cutting Mrs. Fescue too short. I cut 3.5-4"

4. Twotoros

Interesting info. I have mowed fescue long and short. I like short better. When it is long it just lays down. I will not bid fescue any longer. Too many complaints.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

id suggest u fertilize and leave at 3 or more. im not familar with
    bluegrass much but the best ph fo fescue has been 6-7 for me.
    might need lime or whatever. as wet as it is up there seems like fescue would be pretty.course i dont see nothin much but fescue around here so dont have much to compare.later now

6. Spence

Spence LawnSite Member

Cut it at a higher height, atleast 3 inches. Fescue likes to be cut tall. Cutting it short puts too much stress on it.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What type fescue is it??

I am no expert on turf types but I do know that there are about six common turf grass species out of about 100 total fescue species. There are two types of fescue, coarse and fine. By me the coarse are bad and the fine are good, to simply state it.

I'm assuming that you have tall fescue and quite honestly we consider that a bad grass. Its considered a utility turfgrass or a weed when it grows in or near finer textured turfs.
    It is a grass so you aren't gonna spray it with anything less than glyphosate to cure it. I find it in circular clumps and tell my customers that they have to live with it or dig a hole where it currently lives and replant.

I would try and sell a renovation to this lady. Then plant a mix of ky blue, red fescue and rye. If she resists mayby you can sell her on holding soccer matches on her side.

8. Twotoros

Update: Mr Blue wants me back and hinted that Mrs. Fescue will go along and kind of realizes the problem.

I don't know which fescue we have up here, but it lays down when the wheels and feet hit it and doesn't stand until I am long gone. It looks to be fine blades to me. Everyone calls it that feathery grass. If I was to use a high vac machine like a crapper it might be better. I sure am not buying one for a paticular kind of grass. As fo mowing it long, it lays down worse and this is a mow it short area.
    Mowing grass long is one of the biggest complaints that customers here have and they won't listen when I tell them other wise. Even when I show them an article written by an expert. I mow everything 2-2 3/4" and all barely tolerate that length. Most guys here mow 1 1/4 to 2" with the average at 1 3/4". I can't change these facts and must go with the flow. I have dumped at least 20 customers in my 16 years for demanding I scalp their lawn.

Mrs. fescue will not accept 3-3 1/2". Fact. I will tell her to replace with new sod. It is only about 1500 foot or less.