1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to deal w/ emp's not doing good job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jul 31, 2007.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How do you guys take action to get your guys to do everything that is asked and not half as$. I have a customer here and there every other week that do a bad job pulling or spraying weeds or blowing trimming etc... I was thinking of threatening them with they can go do it on their time. Any ideas anyone?
  2. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 part-timers and have not been in biz for over a year so my advice may not be the best...

I plan on having a weekly or monthly bonus, say $250 per crew of 2 guys per week. that bonus will quickly disappear if I receive complaints or if I inspect a few of there cuts and find bad quality jobs then they will lose some of that bonus.

Say instead of paying $12/hr they will get $10/hr + $125 bonus per week if 0 complaints etc... If minor complaints that substract accordingly. Bonus also considered if they come to work late or dont come to work at all.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

well like the old saying goes, its hard to find good help, if it was me, i'd go by the 3 strike rule, 3rd strike your out man, take a hike. if they dont wanna do the job right then they wont be doing it at all :)
  4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all about team work. I talk to guys one on one, never in a group.

It's hard to find people who want to do this kind of work day in and day out. The work is hot and stressful. Men are not machines. Men get burned out. Money is a good motivator, however day in day out even that is not enough.

I like to my crew working together in harmony. When they are happy and working together, things get done and work flows smoothly.
    However there can be bad apples.
    The complainer is the first one to go, I'll see to that. One dissatisfied complainer in the crew is enough to throw a monkey wrench in the works.

I'll pull the complainer to the side and talk to him and convey my concerns for his actions affect the rest of the crew.

I explain to him his job's responsibility [again] and stress that complaining will not be tolerated as this effects everyone.

The lazy one, I also talk too, explain his responsibilities, encourage him to take up slack, and why pulling his load is important to the team as a whole. He is given the opportunity to prove himself.

If he doesn't improve, continues to place some of his share of the burden on the others shoulder, then he has to go.

It's about team work. Of which I am a part. I do what I can to make the job more pleasant. I make sure we stay hydrated, clean water cooler with good water and plenty of ice, Gator Aid drinks in ice chest, at the shop when they get in, have food to eat, sometimes food is out of my pocket, and make sure they take breaks when called for.

My job is also quality control, means the buck stops with me. Complaints are to be directed to me if I have done a good job of managing my crew/business.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

on one will ever do as good a job as you........

as long as you have employees you will have employee issues.
  6. hess

hess LawnSite Member

i dock there pay 5.00 every mistake they learn fast
  7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh:

If I did that to one of my guys....:dizzy: they'd walk in a heartbeat. Good way to lose good guys. Everyone makes mistakes including me.

8. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Good idea. Here's one you might try too. I've been burning their loved ones with a soldering iron for every screw up. After grandma gets the iron a few times, Tom magically figures out not to leave clippings in the mulch beds.

Works like a charm.

I'm going to start using prison sex on the really tough cases. I figure either they'll improve, or really start liking to make mistakes.
  9. TinMan421

TinMan421 LawnSite Member

I like to just start the string trimmer up and run it across there shins and ankles. This works well and I don't have to subtract from there pay checks.

But your idea sounds like it would work better.

Thanks for sharing.:)
  10. hess

hess LawnSite Member

it works for me and the worker understands this is no fly by job and he is still here