How to deal with low ballers.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kajunlawncare, Mar 12, 2014.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Who's working for themselves for $10-$15 an hour? If they are that's just stupid.

I was saying there are plenty of solo guys who ARE legit and who ARE making $30-40 an hour AFTER their expenses. They've created a great job for themselves.

It's what I've done. I'm not out to be the next Brickman. I just want to work alone and be paid a living wage. I like quitting at noon or 1. I don't like workplace drama. I don't like answering to anyone. And so on and so on.

2. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

You are right. I would rather them do this than be on welfare. But, with a job you should have to pay taxes and they don't. This is the part that irks me.

couldn't agree more

3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

What can you do?

I've said this many times on this site before and I'll say it again....There's MORE THAN ENOUGH work for everybody.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Go on CL, the Spring wave is on with guys advertising labor rates of $20 PMH for lawn/landscaping work :hammerhead:

I agree with the second part completely but I don't think those are the people any of us are referring to as "lowballers."

5. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Reading the responses reminds me of last year when I saw one "go out of business"

I was doing a regular route and often pass this guy. He had a truck and trailer, and some old beat up ztr. In the truck were 2 spanish guys. Someone crashed into them, wrecking the trailer and mower, also messed up the truck a little. The driver was on the side of the road throwing a fit like a little kid. I drove by laughing. Never saw him again.

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

Well, I guess if they're working for themselves at 10 an hour they're not smart enough to read the CL classified. Or, maybe, they just like to mow drunk.

7. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing. That's why I said "I do my work and they do their work."

It goes back to the original question of how to deal with them. I can't turn these guys in to anyone for not paying taxes. He mows grass for the borough manager who is in charge of collecting the local income tax.

8. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. After reading the whole thread my mind some what hurts.
    To the 17 year old grossing 100k, congrats. You must be rolling. My only question, is the fact that you're 17, you legally cannot sign any binding contract. Insurance, articles or organization, etc. So many legal aspects to running a business that you cannot legally do ON YOUR OWN. So, there has to be help there. Also, you must have an extensive presence in the community to generate the amount of work. Also, please don't say you work harder than anyone else. Because unfortunately you don't. There is always going to be someone better than you. Smarter, more successful. Stay humble, no matter what. There are people on this great site that could probably teach you a thing or 2.

Back on the subject of "lowballers", let them roll down the road. They come and go just as fast as the leaves turn.

9. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster LawnSite Member

Thanks! And belive me im trying to learn....thats why I study lawnsite like a Bible.

10. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you do t get the two confused you should be good to go. Ha
    Posted via Mobile Device