1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to deal with Poison Ivy , Sumac; etc

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by landscapetastic, May 31, 2012.

1. landscapetastic

landscapetastic LawnSite Member
    from ny

How do you guys deal with poison ivy/ Sumac/ Oak when weeding beds , prepping for mulch? Do you remove it or leave it.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I spray and get it the following visit. If its large I will cut it and get it after it dries up. I try to avoid touching the stuff with anything.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    13Razorbackfan likes this.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

4. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

If you get poison ivy/oak/sumac....on you...wash the area with a lot of cold water.
    Then clean area with some baby wipes.

This definately works very well.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Generally I try to keep it sprayed. It might take the course of a season to get it eradicated. Overall I just don't try to touch it at all.

As for the area affected by PI., I generally tell the homeowner that I will keep up on it, but can't guarantee that I won't kill any plants in the vicinity of the PI.

We're currently dealing with a property that is having PI issues. The unfortunate part is that it's sneaking up in the bushes, so we've put in an estimate for complete removal of the plantings in the bed along with keeping it empty the rest of the season in order to eliminate the PI, along with an estimate for new plant installation in the fall.

6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Your question is how do we deal with it?????

If the customer isn't on a treatment schedule it is left and mulched around. Poison oak and ivy is bad enough. Sumac isn't all poisonous and is speculative. We have customer issues with Virginia Creeper and Trumpet vine. Often the Virginia creeper is mistaken for poison ivy.
    Tell the customer they have the toxic weed and needs to be dealt with using chemical control or extensive digging to remove it. Depending on how established the stuff is, then remove it and return to treat when new sprouts emerge.
  7. My son can get the stuff looking at a picture of it, when we encounter it, i'm the one that has to get rid of it as everyone else on the crew gets it so bad, me I don't have a problem with it.
  8. paula9782

paula9782 LawnSite Member

I am in Texas and very allergic to poison ivy and I am very allergic. Have basically had it all summer. This year even the tiny yards in the middle of town have it somewhere. Tried avoiding taking on lawns that had it but literally 4 out of 5 have it! Have a huge shrub job to bid that is just covered in it. Not sure how to bid it first and second not sure the best way to eradicate without killing shrubs tie weed killers etc.. This is our first year in the lco biz & hubs & I are loving it (not the poison ivy so much). Trying to find off season ideas to sustain us as well. Thanks for any advice in advance.
  9. scott martoccia

scott martoccia LawnSite Member

Make sure you spray with something other than roundup.
    We mix triclopyr (Pathfinder II) with the glysophate with very good results.

Our process is:
    • wk1 spray
    • wk2 2nd spray
    • wk3 hand pull/cut out dead plants
    Repeat as needed until under control.

Hope this helps.

paula9782 and JLSLLC like this.
  10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Gold Member

Dont touch it bare handed or with exposed skin.

I always let the customer know, and that it needs to be addressed.

No real way around it. Needs to be sprayed with something.

Theres a poison ivy scrub that i buy that works well. It removes the poison oils out of your skin. I bought two bottles last year. $30 for one, but worth it. I can post a pic of the bottle if anyone wants to see
    paula9782 and sjessen like this.