1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How To Determine How Much Mulch Is Needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 1MajorTom, May 29, 2004.

1. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Nice point! Profit is not a dirty word. But to know profit, one must first determine their break-even point. And that's where most get confused or go wrong. Nothing in place to calculate selling price other than that's what everyone else is charging, I'm small I can do it cheaper, or that's what I think the market or my client will pay.

Know why you charge what you you charge! We make it SIMPLE!

2. lakertaker2003

lakertaker2003 LawnSite Member

Holy crap! Here in Michigan we have dealers who give us booklets & have service people capable of giving us a mulch amounts needed for a job. Its 1 yd @ 2" covers 212 sq ft. Geesus! Its not that hard to figure out! Take the measurements with a tape measure and multiply them together. Thats it. Very simple. 2 inches is all that should be needed! It would be advised to remove the old mulch first, but isnt always necessary.

3. longoslandscaping

longoslandscaping LawnSite Member

To determine how mulch is needed just multiply how many feet you need to cover plus the price per sq ft. It also depends if you want to pile the mulch high.
    Thank you
    Longos Landscaping

4. CozyHollow

CozyHollow LawnSite Member

Hey, I ain't saying I'm stupid and this comment ain't sayin' I'm dumb either :hammerhead:...but from what I gather in the above quote: 2 yards.

I'm stickin' with this formula.

I was also told to charge customer $125.00 per yard. Any thoughts?:waving:

5. tomsyardcare

tomsyardcare LawnSite Member

Duhhh??? Is that all u got? Wow the guy is asking for help here on a help forumn and you say duhhhhh? Wow must be that southern hospitality!

6. tomsyardcare

tomsyardcare LawnSite Member

I charge by the hr. because sometime you have to wheel the mulch a long ways to get to the beds. Also if there is edging and weeding involved. That will add time and even more time if the job is done later in season say like June. All those weeds have had a chance to sprout up, as opposed to mulching in April before the weeds arrive. I usually add %0 to the job and hit the beds w/ Preen
    or I use Lesco's version. It is a pre emergent weed control granule. It helps good luck!

7. 1 Yard of Mulch 3" deep will cover 108 sq feet
    1 Bag 3 cu feet at 1" will cover 36 sq feet
    try it once it is useful

8. CozyHollow

A few mulch jobs under my belt and I stick to $60.00 - $65.00 a yard. Sells real good in these parts!

9. CozyHollow

I charge by the yard (as above) and then add my hourly if there's edge defining and weeding.

Just sold another job. 2 yards with a bunch of weeding for $300. (for Sat. the 26th) No edge defining. It'll take about 4 hours to completely weed and the mulch time is already included in the $65 per yard (roughly 1 and 1/2 hours). So after all's said and done I'll pocket $240.00. I usually try and hit the $45.00 hourly rate and sometimes try and squeeze in $55.00. So far it's been paying off REAL well!

What is your hourly rate if you don't mind me askin???