How To Determine How Much Mulch Is Needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 1MajorTom, May 29, 2004.

1. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

it IS helpful, and i dont want to sound ungrateful, but i didn't go into landscaping because i was REALLY GOOD at math, know what i mean?

i'm looking for simple, methods that can even just come close, so my customers don't think im screwing em by adding three yards on in the end or by porkin myself by overestimating by 3-4 yds on the bid and losing it cuz im artificially high.

2. SavageLandscaping

SavageLandscaping LawnSite Member

make it easy and just ask the people you get your mulch from give them the dimensions they can figure out right on the computer...much less headaches

3. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I don't think these simple formulas will make you a mathematician. However, if you want to be close to accurate on mulch estimates, you might consider remembering them. Mrs. Smith's lawn for example may be an easy guess. But if you are trying to estimate anything of any size, you had better understand these simple methodologies. The lack of knowledge not understanding these simple steps is exactly why the failure rates for the lawn & landscape industry are so high.

Please don't take this as sarcasm, but as a way to help you and your company make more money.

Good luck!

4. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Dang this is an old post. Almost 3 years old. good to see it still being used.

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

L X W X .33 Divide BY 27= Cubic Feet Needed
    The .33 Represents 4" Of Mulch

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh huh, that could be easy, but could also be totally bad for you. You could be trusting some third grade educated nincompoop to tell you how much mulch you need. If you're lucky, maybe you could hook up with someone with a brain, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

7. Topsoilman

Topsoilman LawnSite Member

simple just log onto 1800topsoil there is a topsoil calculator that will also work for mulch. just enter in your dimentions and the thickness you desire and bam its right there.

8. rockytop00

rockytop00 LawnSite Member

Ah ha! Very good post indeed... my brother and I always argue about the mulch depth question!

9. JKEnterprise

JKEnterprise LawnSite Member

10. alesia

alesia LawnSite Member

Hey guys when someone wants advice on anything such as material estimating we should not cut them down like DUH or If you don't know how to do it then don't do it! We were all new in this industry at one time. The formula is pretty accurate but there is also variables such as plants shrubs and bushes. I feel pretty confident in eying it and coming up with the amount. But for some the confidence is not quite there yet!