how to determine right pump

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by ebayollis, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ebayollis

ebayollis LawnSite Member

I new to the whole landscaping for myself and im building a water fall goin along my driveway as it is on an elevation...i need to know how to determine what size pump to use

2. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Any good garden pond supplier should be able to help you with pump sizing when you purchase your pump. They will consider the length of your stream and plumbing to determine head pressure, width of the fall to determine gallons per hour required. Pondliner.com is a great place to buy from. I am sure there are many others. They can even help you consider how much electricity your pump is going to use every month.

3. ebayollis

ebayollis LawnSite Member

ok thanks alot!....no one around where i live could help me cause all there really is is a lowes and they dont know anything....ill check out pondliner.com tho!

4. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

also "itsparadiseathome.com" is a great place too. ask for chris. he is a great resorce. the pondeco line is a great product for way cheap. check it out.

5. William Burnison

William Burnison LawnSite Member

If you are looking for quality in a pump...try the Savio line. The new industry survey came out a while back and the Savio pumps were rated the highest on the list with less than 1% failure rate of any pump on the market.

Like Veturewest said, any good water feature retail outlet will be able to fit your project with the correct pump. How big is your project, what is the elevational rise, what is the distance the water must travel for total dynamic head, size of plumbing, submersible or external, electrical consumption, what flow you want visible, etc., etc. Lots of things to consider in selecting the proper puimp for your specific application. Be sure and ask the right people to get the right answer.

If the people you talk to ask you all of the above questions, like the ones Venturewest mentioned as well...then you are in good hands. If they just push a pump into your hands without asking you "a lot" of questions...steer clear of their recommendations.

William