how to determine what used eqipment is worth.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeepflexin, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jeepflexin

jeepflexin LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of selling 2 zero turns to upgrade and i have no idea what to ask or expect to get...
    any help is appreciated

1998 grasshopper 928d2 with 1300 hours and a 61 inch deck and grass catcher. recently serviced runs great.

1995 grasshopper 721d with 1800 hours w/61 inch deck. also recently serviced and runs great too.

thanks for the thoughts guys.
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Find out what the new ones go for and ask for half or thereabouts, if they are in good shape.
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to a dealer. They all have an equipment ( blue book ). Just like car dealers.
  4. jeepflexin

jeepflexin LawnSite Member

thanks guys any other advise is apreciated, even what you think my 2 grasshoppers are worth helps.
  5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

look on ebay is the best way and that will give you the absolute bottom price... add a few dollars to it its not like there are tons of classifieds for equipment in newspapers to compare them to
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Most reasonable dealers may have the equipment "orange" books, yet some may not. The problem with used equipment is that it is often difficult to sell to a smaller lco or start up as they often do not have the money to qualify for the cheap financing deals offered with new equipment.
    That said, I have had some success in selling used equipment but now I am managing a fleet of ztr's, I have found it much easier to negotiate a trade-in at time of replacement.
    Regarding the value of your equipment, remember that different areas of the US have vastly different value guidelines so what I may be able to get for that machine may not necessarily equate to your expectations.
    The suggestion of asking for half the value of a new machine sounds reasonable but I ignore ebay as it is not an adequate representation of specialized turf equipment values.
    Try some of the used equipment web sites, gather some local information and adjust your prices accordingly.
  7. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer takes trades. You aren't going to get what you might get selling it yourself but it is a lot less hastle. If it were me. I would keep the old ones. If they are in good shape keep running them. The cheapest used ZTR I have come across is about $2000 for a 48" and I have seen 52;s in the paper for $2500 for a Scag and $2250 for Exmark. I came across a old old old Toro 62" walk behind with a bad wheel motor for $600.00 looked like it had been through WW's 1 2 and 3.

If dealers have those books I bet you could find something online that will give you an idea. but that is the best I can do.