1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to dig through layers of landscape fabric

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by maddogg578, Apr 26, 2011.

1. maddogg578

maddogg578 LawnSite Member

I have a client with a yard that pretty much has weeds the problem is theres layers of dirt mulch and landscape fabric i cant use my tiller beacause of all the landscape fabric so how should i get the fabric out.
  2. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

shovel and pull. shovel and pull. Repeat.

I recommend charging alot to this it is a major pain in the ass.
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Tug, pull, swear...pull some more, fall on your ass, tug some more. Use spade, pull more.

Get what it is woorth! You will be swearing allot with this one. Guaranteeeeed!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I use my tiller head on the end of my string trimmer. go slow and you can pop up and tear up the existing fabric. The only pain is having to randomly stop and clean the tiller head occasionally.

Over all I don't cuss when using that method. Any other method usually has a expletive associated with it.
  6. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Make sure you let this guy jnow about the cost. Do not screw yurself on this one. Pulling fabric sux.
  7. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

I use a sawzaw and knee pads (like a panzy)
  8. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

The spikes on this kind of tool, are great for tearing into the fabric and yanking it out. Sold at Lowes under $11 bucks.