How to disassemble older Scag spindle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by maintenanceguy, Mar 27, 2008.

1. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I've got an old scag walk behind. I need to replace the spindle bearings but I can't figure out how to get these things apart.

Any help appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Did you take a pic from then top down ? Been a while but I think there is a BIG snap ring that holds the bearings in place. More pics would be great. If it is the snap rings, it's a real PITA with out the right tool.

ericg likes this.
  3. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think there is a snap ring on the top and bottom. Take those off, then carefully hammer the top of the spindle down through the housing. You could press it out if you have a press. Thats how my old spindle were.

4. maintenanceguy

from NJ

There was a snap ring around the smaller shaft. It's been removed.

I would have just pressed the shaft out of the housing but I was sure I had read here that these spindles are not a press fit and do not require a press to disassemble them.

I did tap gently with a hammer while I had the housing in a vice and it didn't move at all but I don't see any other fasteners so I guess I'll try to press it out.

5. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Here is an exploded view of the spindle. Removing the smaller snap ring from the shaft is just the start. If you try to press the shaft out without removing the other 2 snap rings, and the shaft hangs up on the bearing, you could fubar the housing. I learned this the hard way :)

Spindle.jpg

ericg likes this.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is that a newer tapered bearing spindle? (grease relief poppet?) I think they are different than the diagram pictured above.

7. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Do you mean like this one ?

22222222222.jpg

ericg likes this.
  8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

When you press it out, you put something narrower than the spindle shaft between the shaft and press. That way it passes through the bearings.

9. maintenanceguy

from NJ

I figure it out, and it's not like either of the two diagrams above.

If you look at the original photo, all the way to the left, you can see a disk on the bottom of the spindle just barely visible.

That disc is held in place with two roll pins that are driven into the face of the disk. It looked and felt like one piece but I put my impact chisel into what looked like a groove in this disc and the disc popped off.

Hidden underneath was a snap ring. Removed that and it all came apart easliy.

My spindles have tapered roller bearings, not sealed bearings like the two diagrams.

10. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

It figures it would be one of the manuals I don't have on file :laugh:
    If you need the complete manual, you can get it from the Scag website, just have your numbers handy

ericg likes this.