1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to disassemble Scag caster rim?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PM Baker, Jan 24, 2005.

1. PM Baker

PM Baker LawnSite Member

How do you disassemble Scag Tiger/Cub/Cougar caster rim to get at the bearings? How do remove the retainers, and take out the bearings?
  2. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

What exactly are you changing the bearings and races in....the rim or the caster arm?
  3. PM Baker

PM Baker LawnSite Member

I'm working on the rim. The grease fitting broke off, and I had to re-tap the threads, to be able to put in a new grease fitting. I tapped it without removing the bearings, because I didn't know how to remove the two retainers on either end, nor the bearings.

Now the spacer (the little tube in which the bolt is goes through) is hitting something as you slide it in the rim. It still slides all the way through, however, I want to have a look. It appears that either the tip of the old grease fitting is still in there, or I bent something out into the way, when I was driving the tap in.

Anyhow, I'd like to take it apart and have a look, and clean it out.

The Scag parts drawings show two bearings, but when I look through the bolt hole, it looks to me like one long roller bearing from one end to the other.
  4. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Yikes! I hope you didn't run your tap into a roller.

Could this be a replacement wheel?

I've seen replacement wheels with single roller bearings. They're held in by the plastic end spacers. Just pry one of the spacers off and the bearing should come out.

If it's regular dual wheel bearing (tapered), the only thing holding the bearings in would be the grease seals. If you don't have a seal puller, use a long piece of wood and tap on the bearing from the opposite side. This will push the bearing from the cup and pop the seal out.