1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to disconnect safety switches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bilboy, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bilboy

Bilboy LawnSite Member

I just recently purchased a John Deere X485 and can't get any help overriding safety features. Particularly, stepping on the brake shuts off the deck and the seat switch keeps me from adjusting my underwear without doing the same thing. At this rate I'll be replacing the electric clutch about the time the warranty runs out. HELP!
  2. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

wear boxers or freeball. Safety switches are very important to you and your loved ones:)
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If i tell you how and you get hurt. I could get sued
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

leave it alone, it's put on the machine for a reason...
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Sue me, I'm Canadian and our money is worth nothing. To "Test" your safety switches you sometimes need to run a jumper wire across the terminals on plug side to complete the circuit. I have a JD and it's almost impossible to run it unless I put the seat all the way ahead. It appears that the safety switch is too far back in the seat to activate it when I sit in it. I used to run it with a piece of wood under the seat to force me to sit back farther, it was easier to disconnect the switch. This winter I'm going to try to relocate the switch so it works and I can still reach the pedals. I leave the reversing switch hooked up. Maybe JD and others could make the switches adjustable so they work for different body sizes and then they could be left on.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Some you can just unplug and others will need a jumper wire.I disconnect the seat switch on all my riders.
  8. Bilboy

Bilboy LawnSite Member

OK, OK I know safety switches are there to protect, but cutting out the mower when you step on the brake??? Give me a break!
  9. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

All the switch on my WB are all disconnected including the pain in the *** operator presence handle grips.
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

This thread reminds me of a guy I used to work for. This was the starting procedure for his walk-behind:

1. Use screwdriver blade to bridge the starter terminals.
    2. Once engine starts, quickly pull screwdriver away with enough force to overcome the arc weld that has bonded it to the terminals.
    3. Insert jumper wire into OPC wiring harness and start blades.
    4. Pray that you don't need the OPC function that day!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.