How to do a waterfall?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by hdtvluvr, May 18, 2006.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I just had a well installed for my pond. The pond is roughly 0.4 acres. I am trying to determine what is the most asthetically pleasing way of getting water from the well to the pond. I can see 2 possibilities - 1 a waterfall and the other some sort of large statue of a lady holding a pitcher and it emptying into the pond (wife's idea). The outlet on the well is 1 1/4 inch PVC. The well will pump 27 gallons/minute.

What does everyone else do? I like the waterfall idea the best but am unsure of how to build one other than stack some rocks. I'm sure there is a art to stacking them so it appears they have always been there.

The waterfall would be about 2 ft above the water level on the slope of a levy. The well will not run continuously so the waterfall will not have water 95% of the time. I'm just looking for a way to get the water into the pond without eroding the bank, etc. and without having a pipe stuck up out of the water 100% of the time since I was told the outlet needed to be above the water level at all times.

If you've built a waterfall could you post pictures? Any other ideas?
    Thanks

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

Thats not the victor I know, judging by how short that response was.

That well pump is not large enough to bother with a water fall. Plus, like you said why bother building one when it will not run 95% of the time.

4. hdtvluvr

OK, so approx. 1800 gph isn't enough water for a waterfall. What is the best way to hide the pipe? I've seen some just sticking up 10-12 inches above the water. This isn't very pretty.

I'm looking for other options.

5. Victor

You could buy some kind of spitter. That would do the trick. What are you trying to say JD? You trying to say I have a tendency to give long-winded responses, or something? Lol... :rolleyes:
    Don't you dare answer that!

Vic

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

why can't you let it be under the water level?

7. hdtvluvr

Victor,
    What is a spitter?

BSD,
    I assume in order to prevent the possibility that some pond water may get back into the well. The well driller said it was mandatory that the outlet be above the water level of the pond.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what about installing a check-valve? that would prevent water from flowing backwards into the well.

9. Victor

A spitter is a device that shoots water into a pond. Spitters come in many forms. If you go to any online pond supplier and do a search for a spitter, you'll see.

Vic

10. hdtvluvr

Thanks, I'll look into the check valve and the spitter.