how to estimate cleanups for commercials, one price not hourly?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Oct 10, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

for residential i would just give them a per hour price but there's this guy i know that does mowing but not leaf removal, he said i could bid on the leaf removal for this church he does. they have alot of leaves. well i am going to ask the church about it today but i cannot figure out how you would ever come up with a price for this type of thing, since they likely would not be happy with a hourly price.
    Some parts are too small for mower+bagger, these I will blow off with b/p, but other areas are large and open and will be done with mower + bagger, then i will have to suck up all the piles and haul off. the church is on 2 city blocks mostly building but the biggest area of grass is maybe an acre? I'll have to measure.
    I'll try to remember to get pics if I go look at it today. Any ideas? What do you usually do for this situation? Thanks,
    Eric

2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I will usually try and compare it to another account that I do and price it based on that. I will usually add 10-15% on top just in case

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric, take a good, loooong look at it an destimate to yourself how many hours you expect it to take. Price accordingly.

4. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Try to estimate hrs. and say something along the lines like:

The labors going to run around $300-350
    And leaf removal is $60 per truck load- I'm guessing you have 4-6 loads here to haul away

Just threw #'s up there to explain

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thanks guys, I think ck may have the best I can relate to. Since I haven't really used this year's setup in leaves, and it is so much better than last year's, it will be hard to tell.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, remember also that anyone else would use a rake to do the work so make sure you don't underbid just because you have the equipment to do it faster. I made that mistake the first year doing leaves it's tough to get the prices back up where they need to be.