How to estimate flagstone

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mr. Midwest, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

I was wondering how you guys estimated the amount of flagstone you use for flagstone walkways. Since flagstone is priced by the pound do you have a quick way of estimating the amount of pounds. Eithere by running ft or sq. ft. Any input would be apprecatiated!

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I would ask the supply yard on average how many sf come on a skid. My guys knew all that stuff for stacking stone walls etc
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I guess different places do different things. I never heard of flagstone being sold by the pound. Wall stone - yes, sold by the pound. Most people say "we're installing a 712 sf flagstone patio". They don't say "we're installing a 35,612 pound flagstone patio".

In my area, flagstone units are sold by the square foot.

So calculate how many sf needed, factor in waste.

4. BlockHead23

BlockHead23 LawnSite Member

I work at a supply yard and we figure that most flagstone you will get about 80-90 SF per ton depending on how wide your joints are. A skid will weigh around 3500 lbs.

And we sell all of our natural stone by the lb. (edgers, boulders, drywall, flag, etc.)

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of our suppliers also sells by the pound.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

sell by the lb here to I hate it. We dont do a lot of flagstone but when we do, we give an estimate on flagstone material cost in the job quote. Genearlly were pretty close, but $100 is a $100 im not eating that cost
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DVS Hardscaper

Selling by the pound is lazy on the supplier's behalf. Weigh in weigh out. Done.

Selling by the sf involves a yard worker counting the pieces and giving you a slip to hand to the guy at the sales counter. But, this is also the correct way to do it.

Our supplier sells 1" for so much per sf. 1.5" for so much per sf. And 2" for so much per sf.

A more structured and fair system.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. OSdb

OSdb LawnSite Member

Irregular flagstone is sold by the pound here and random pattern by the square foot. It would take forever to measure the irregular to figure out the sq.ft.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Correct
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Birchwood

Birchwood LawnSite Member

By the pound here. Flagging is better for a patio or steppers.