1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to estimate mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by AMW Landscaping, Mar 23, 2014.

1. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I do it by wheelbarrow loads. Is there any more efficient way to figure out how much mulch to quote a job for?
  2. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

I price my mulch jobs by the cu. yd. Figure your area to be mulched, for example 155' long x 4' wide x 2" thick =1240 divide by 324 to change that to cu. yd. = 3.8 cu. yd. Now I charge between $60 - $100 a cu. yd. installed depending on the type of mulch, difficulty of the job etc. This includes edging, weeding, labor, and delivery. So 3.8 yd x$75 = $285
  3. AMW Landscaping

Im good on getting my price. I need a better way of figuring out all the bulk material I will need. Figuring the area can take a wile, especially if there are lots of beds that are all different shapes and sizes. I know that there is about 4 to 5 wheelbarrow loads per yard(for my size wheelbarrow) and i have a good idea of how far each load gets me. What do you guys use to figure out the material you need?
  4. BowmanR

BowmanR LawnSite Member
    from IA

Measure them and always get more than you need. You can't go wrong using that formula. It doesn't matter what shape they are, if its a circle bed, you can measure the square outside that circle, same with oval/oval with 2 trees in it and same with hexagon full hostas.

Bed 1 - 10ftx15ft - 150ft2
    Bed2 - 10ftx10ft - 100ft2 = 475 ft2
    Bed 3 - 15ftx15ft - 225ft2

I want to mulch these beds with mulch at 3 inches thick and from the square footage above I will need 4.4 yards of mulch to do this. Since I know I underestimated a couple beds and over estimated 1 of the beds I will need a bit more than that to make up the difference and prefer to be safe so I would get 5 yards to do the job. I KNOW I have enough to do the job now, I KNOW I won't need to make another trip because I underestimated. WORST case scenario I have a bit left over to do with what I please.

Figuring an area should only take a few minutes. Anything less than actually measuring your square footage is just guessing and will lead to lost money.
  5. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

I usually use my measuring wheel and write down the measurements, then calculate up how much mulch I need. You get good at it real quick.
  6. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

What about digging out to be able to put down 2-3" of mulch? What do you do with what you dig out?
  7. AMW Landscaping

Why would you dig it out? You just put the mulch on top. I always put down 2-3 inches of mulch right on top of the dirt.
  8. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I eye ball my mulch jobs, done it enough times that I can look at beds and add the yards up as I walk around. I'm usually accurate within a yard or few.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Google landscape mulch calculator. There are a few on the web. Just enter the bed size and depth and it will tell you the number of yards, 2 cuft bags, or 3 cuft bags you will need.

The hardest part is the measuring of the beds. I normally figure 3" depth to make sure I have enough.
  10. gardiner

gardiner LawnSite Member

same here .. does your prep hours come in around the same as yards you come up with ?