How to explain my price to customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Allright, I have this lady that used to be friendly now turning into a PITA. She was not happy a few weeks ago when I let her know my rates were going up and since then she has been ridiculous. She calls me and ask me to plant 2 small trees. I tell her $25 per tree and she gets hostile. She tells me she has beed checking with other "landscapers" and that they will do it for less. She tells me that since they have more experience than me that I should charge much less than them. I am only 16 so I do not have a lot of experience, but I do quality work. I have heard time and time again to charge the going rate for your area and not to lowball just to get business so I don't and this is how people react. People think that since I am young that I should charge considerably less than the big guys. How can I explain these things to people like this. I have only gotten 1 of the 5 estimates I have run this year with my new rates. Age is not working in my favor. I have a professional appearance (uniforms etc.) so this is not the problem.

Thanks... :angry:

2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Grow a beard....makes ya look older. Other then that just keep letting your work speak for itself and go for refferals from the customers you already have. Also, if you don't have insurance, get it and let them know you are also an insured company which adds to the extra cost.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

$25 for a tree sounds reasonable to me. Doubt she found any one to do it any cheaper. She is more than liekly lying in attempt to get you to do it even cheaper. DO NOT budge for your orig. price, that will help you obtain a professional image.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You Don't explain your price !!!! Its take it or leave it. If she can find someone else cheaper then let her, you gave her a price now the balls in her court. Never feel guilty or feel you have to explain your pricing to a customer.

5. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have my insurance all lined up, I will have it when it comes time to cut the first lawn. Around $600 per year for 1 mil. I have passed out around 1500 flyers this year and they all say that I am insured. I did not change my price. It stayed at $25 per tree and I still did the work. I was tempted to ask her why the hell she didn't go with the other guy with the way she was bragging about him, but I can't afford to lose any of my customers at this time.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Keep it up. If she didn't throw you to the curb she was bluffing. I am sure that you do good work and will in time pick up the amount of accounts you want.
    I do know from experience that a lot of people will not hire someone that is still in school for the simple fact that they know come fall, when leaves and such come around, you will be tied up with school with minimal time to do the work they need.
    Now look on the bright side. You have 2 years to get your name out, build your business, and educate people on the right way to do things. Come time you turn 18 you should have a decent business where you can make money. Right now do a good job, learn what you can in school, and take it easy. The ride from mom and dad will end soon enough.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think $25.00 a tree is too much.I plant a 10 gallon tree for $15.00,and I have been doing this along time.If there are any problems with the soil or other circumstanses that make the planting more difficult then I add on to that price.And I won't go over and just plant one tree I have a minumum.
    I mean it's not that difficult to plant a small tree.Not many people will pay you $25.00 for a 1/2 hour or 20 minutes of work.I think your charging more than nescesary.At 16 years old you can't have the knowlage and expierence to charge those prices yet.Lowballing is going around behind somebody and finding out what they bid then going lower than what they will do it for.I don't consider it lowballing when you give an honest,fair price for the work.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What makes you think your prices are honest and fair and his are not ??? Thats the same as me saying your prices are to low and your hurting the industry with you lower than normal pricing structure. $15 a tree? That don't get me to walk out the door :dizzy: :dizzy:

9. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

It is important to get the right customers and to serve them well. She does not sound like a customer I would keep... because she is not supportive. She is walking all over you.

10. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

agreed, $30 is nuts for 2 trees! unless we are talking 15-25 trees that are augered in with a dingo, then my prices come down to the $18-$20 range

all the local nurserys here have a $75 minimum for planting