How to Explain to the Customer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpudsM15, Mar 2, 2006.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, I had this potential customer that didn't beleive me regardless.
    Now This prop is a new cunstruction and the builders left a mess of blue stone all over the lawn area 2x4's sticking out of the ground everywhere.... Anyways I'm bidding this site for sodding....
    The problem is he'se got a few huge spruces and pines.... And he wants to sod it. So i'm like thats not going to work to well... Its very hard to grow grass under trees this size and with the amount of neddles they constantly drop.... Also the amount of shade the lawn will get will kill the lawn...
    What do you tell customers the reason not to plant grass under spruces and pines? Ph level..... stuff like that Most proffesional way that even the most stubburn person can't resist????

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

As business man I have to tell you I don't think this will be successful long term explain reasons. I also have to tell you as a business man If I don't take your money someone else will. So if you want to proceed I will be happy to provide a bid and do the work. I would also put your failure theory in writing with a time line if you are that confident in your knowledge and have him sign a copy for you. Only for future use if he complains later that he was not informed, some people get amnesia.

3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Az, there is no way sodding underneath those trees could be good... Not only is it definately going to die, But it is on a busy corner. Now with that being said I was planning on putting a gravel bed underneth these trees which will not only look better and make my work look better, but It gives more income for the same amount of area. Also I would be getting the maintenance contract for this prop.... Which will be worth 2k every year...
    maybe more if I can sell the customer for mulch under the trees....
    So I don't understand where your coming from in your comments???

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do what the customer wants if you want to land the job..then when it dies..sell him the mulch job.and say I told you so!
    Trust me on this

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

sheshovel, you forgot that after an i told you so, he'll be laughing all the way to the bank x 2.....

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The customer wants what they want. I have had customers that have me re- sod an area every spring, its their $$$ better you take it than someone else.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Just make sure that when you hand him his watering instuctions it has a spot that he signs that says he is satified with all work performed by contractor and will hold contactor harmless for loss of of all living plants, grasses etc. HE gets a copy and you get a copy

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

true true mac..I thought that might go without saying but I forgot where I was.

9. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i did a sod job last year that half of it died. you want to know why? he NEVER watered it! Before i finished and before he paid (in full) i explained how and when to water. I also gave him the watering instructions that came with the sod incase he forgot. His excuse for not watering was "well it rained the day after you finished i thought that was enough." I dont feel bad one bit.

10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I do things right so i would tell him you cant put grass over their.................
    Now i can put a very attractive flower bed if you would like .
    If he insist on grass i would refuse the job.......... Its your reputation not his.................. sorry its just the way i am