How to fail in the lawn business by someone who did it.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROCUT1, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, a person can call, add late fees, interest charges, even file court documents.

When you're living check to check, trying to get straightened back out, none of those fees pay your bills.

5-6 years ago, jobs were being thrown at you so fast it didn't matter, you'd drop the customer and move on.

In our area that's becoming more and more difficult.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Procut,
    Very informative.. Thanks! I'll finish tomorrow morning. Sound like you learned allot from the lawn biz. Your other venture should go well?? no
    I'm going to copy a paste your posts. I'll keep it for future references.
    Very good insight. Thanks again

3. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

bump bump bump

4. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you deserve to be paid. You have to be assertive in this (but not too aggressive or passive) or you won't be paid. If you don't make money, you aren't in business very long.

5. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

So many guys in this game should be working for someone else....
    Anyone can do lawn/landscaping, but not everyone can run a business.

6. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

bump bump bump

7. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

*****, complain, whine, moan. The reason Procut failed was his ATTITUDE. Writing a one page diatribe about how to fail. Is that how he talked with customers?? Who'd want to do business with somebody like that?

8. peahlybros.

peahlybros. LawnSite Member

Here's my 2 cents:

Work within your means. Never take loans out for equipment, buy used and take care of them... a cheap mower will make you money in the long run. I get a kick out of the guys I see who start out with tons of debt thinking that the brand new mowers and enclosed trailer will make more money.

The lower your costs the more money you make, simple economics. I like to take a little bit of my profit every year, and upgrade something in my fleet. I dont understand why companies see it to be neccessary to have the nicest equipment on the market.

Lets be honest, its all just for bragging rights in my opinion.

Satisfied customers will make you more money than a pretty trailer full of shiny mowers in the long run.

9. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

How about...Lower your costs and charge as much as you can.
    thats the best way to make money.

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

you solo guys think you have it all figured out, get 6 crews running under you and stuff will change...
    shiny mowers and trucks are also more reliable, which ones you get larger you need. you cant have a crew full of 5 sitting down for 4 hours one day broken down..
    why dont the big national companies use old equip/trucks, because its not worth the headaches to them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.