How to Fertilize large oaks??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bull, May 24, 2008.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a client that wants some red and white oaks fertilized or fed as she stated. These trees are probably 70-80 feet tall. What would be some options as to how to feed them and what would you use and how much. Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

2. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I'd deep root feed the trees myself. There are a variety of ways to feed trees but I still like to deep root the trees. I currently use the Arbor Green developed by Davey Tree but there are others. As long as you know the calibtration of your sprayer just do the math using available nutrients and gpm of your sprayer. I would not try a foliar spray on these tree because of their size. I generally go by DBH of the tree to determine amount of nutrients also the product you use. I generally would feed the trees in the fall to late fall, maily cause I'm too busy this time of year and I can fert trees in any type of crappy weather.

3. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Thanks for your response but to be honest with you I am still somewhat in the dark as to how to do this. For some reason I was thinking that a series of small diameter holes would be bored a certain distance from the trunk and that some form of fertilize would be inserted into the holes at some specified amount. As an example the trees probably average about 30 to 36" across the stumps. Can you give me some more specifics and can I do something similar to what I have described above? Thanks for your time and help.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the arber jet system applies the fert thru drilling a series of holes in the trunk of the tree. www.arborjet.com

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is just what the old tree needs. A soft tissue growth stimulus especially in the fall :laugh:

Let's get the hardwood trees to grow as quickly as the soft wood trees. Water shoots really are good for the long term health of any tree.

What nutrients is the tree deficient in and how much does it need of each? Analysis of tissue samples of other healthy oaks in the area have demonstrated that this particular oak needs to be fed?

Wide tree rings signal wet seasons - not fertile seasons.

Something to think about. :)

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt feed an old growth tree like that unless it was constuction damaged or in declining health. And then I probably would not use a fertilizer but go with bio-stimulants and organics. I would not want to push new growth as stated above. I too like the deep root feedings.

Or if she insists on you feeding it. Pull a TG and just deep root with water:hammerhead:

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Or mauget system, but need to go thru the class

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm buying the arbor jet next week, just sold a EAB job on 102 ash trees $$. plus i have a few apt complex's that have some yellowing pin oaks that will get a treatment of iron and mag.