How to fertilize tight areas?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TimberlandGrounds, Mar 22, 2004.

1. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

Newbie here (new to the fertilizer section). I am a lawn cutting guy, was able to obtain a license over the winter for fertilizer applications.

I apply only granular. For those tight areas, how do you guys apply the granular fertilizer? I have a Lesco broadcast spreader, but that would be bad for smaller areas. Should I use a drop spreader? For example, I have many residential customers that have a sidewalk, and that area between the sidewalk and the street is approx. 5 feet wide. If I use a broadcast spreader, I would have a lot of overspray into either the street or sidewalk.

What do you guys suggest.
    Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The sidewalk, in most cases, really can't be avoided. Just use your sheild. Who did you do fertilization for, before (I mean who did you work for?)

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I watched a guy last fall lift the spreader up on one wheel to change the pattern. Have not tried it yet but it seemed to work for him.

4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Go slower at a lower rate Spreads less and use a blower Don't leave that stuff there

5. Green Right

Green Right LawnSite Member

I Use the scotts handheld green plastic spreader sold to home owners. they are very handy for small areas.They hold about 4lbs. of fert and they are durable.

6. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

Green Right, thanks for the tip. I just picked up one of these Scott's hand held units from Home Depot. Exactly what I am looking for, something to help out with those smaller, tight areas.