how to figure a yard of mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by snapper, Nov 13, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

Some thing i was wonder but cant find the answer to. I have a trailer that is 6.5'x12' inside with one foot sides. How many yards of mulch could it hold if it was loaded even with the top? Or heaped? Any idea how much this might weigh? This would be just the plain ole black mulch? Or what about if it had two foot sides? How much could it hold level and heaped, and what it might weigh? And if i am not mistaken, isnt mulch sold in yards? And one more question, how do you figure say cubic yards, or cubic feet?

Thanks!! chris

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

1 cu. yard of mulch = 27 cu. ft. Multiply your length by width by height to get total of cubic feet and then divide by 27 to get cu. yds.

In your case it's 6.5X 12 X 1 (height of sides) = 78 divided by 27 = 2.888 cu yds. If sides are 2 ft tall, double it. Mounded, sort of split the difference. Unless you have 2 - 3500 lb axles and very good (electric) brakes don't go for twice the amount: it'll push you all over the road.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

6.5' x 12' x 1' ===>>> 78 cuft or 3 cubic yards with the 'heap'

Depending on the moisture content of the mulch (has it rained lately) I figure mulch to weight around 700 lbs per yard. A little more if its wet, say about 800 lbs per yard.

So at three yards I'd figure about 2200#.

4. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I figure mine feet X feet X inches / 326 =
    6.5' X 12' X 12" = 936 / 326 = 2.871 cubic yards

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have had 6 cy on my 6.5x12 with one foot sides......no problem.....make sure you have electric brakes on the trailer.....

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd rather be selling you mulch than buying from you.

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to see your suppliers idea of a yard???

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would think you could get 3 yards. I have got 3-4 yards on my 12' flatbed, but it is 8' wide.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I don't understand the weight issue. Trailer brakes??? Give me a break! This is a light load, trailer brakes are nice but not necessary in this case. I hauled three pallets of sod today, one on the truck and two on my little 6x12 single axle trailer(no electric brakes). Slowing down was not an issue.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no way..........
    full to the top would be 2.6 yd3
    no way to triple that amount.