1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to figure cost of product

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fireman1173005, Jan 22, 2009.

1. fireman1173005

fireman1173005 LawnSite Member

Ok I stopped by Lesco this morning and priced some products but I need help figuring the cost/1,000 sq. ft.

See if this is right.

Product A comes in a 2.5 gallon jug. and says to add 30oz. per 100 gallons of water. (I have a 100 gallon tank) And apply at 2 Gallons of mixed product per 1,000 sq. ft.

I know that there is 320 oz. in a 2.5 gallon jug and the product cost $60 for the jug.

So first I figure out my cost per ounce. $60/320 oz. = 0.1875 cents per ounce.

I need 30 oz. per tank so that will cost me 30oz. X 0.1875 cents =$5.63 per tank.

I need to spray 2 gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. of mixed product and I have a 100 gallon tank so I can spray 50 gallons X 1,000sq. ft. = 50,000sq. ft. of spraying per tank.

But now I am lost on how to figure it out, I am new at this and need some help.

Brian

2. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

You know it cost $5.63 per 100 gallon tank.

You also know that a 100 gallon tank, at 2 gals per 1000 sq.ft., will do 50,000 sq. ft.

Take 5.63 (cost per 100 gal tank) divide that by 50 ( tank will do 50 x 1000 sq. ft) and that gives you roughly $0.11 per 1000 sq. ft.

Hopefull that helps

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Then add overlap, drift, cost of purchasing the chemical(s) - transport, time, storage, etc.., Then, you have your other various supplies (anti foam, spreader sticker, etc.), fuel to run equipment. Now, this only covers your material costs...This s NOT your operating costs. Make sure you figure ALL this in so you don't cut yourself short.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Brian

I believe you are making it hard on yourself. I wouldn't do the 100 gallon part. I would first find the cost per oz of the chemical. Then I would multiply it by the the label rate per thousand that you plan to use.

whereas $ 60.00 / 320 = $ 0.1875 per oz.

whereas 30 oz on 50 k = 0.6 oz per thousand.

Therefore 0.6 x 0.1875 = $ 0.1123 chemical cost per thousand.

Runner

I add in an extra 10% cost factor for shrinkage or over application etc. Also don't forget to use sales tax and final jug cost.

I use Microsoft Excel as a cost program. I have each product I use set up so as the price changes I only need to enter or change the price. Excel then kicks out my new cost per thousand in every mix I use that has that chemical in. I can view each chemical cost and also my standard mixes. Of course fertilizer has been the big cost concern this last year or so. since math is math it works on both liquid and granular.

5. fireman1173005

Ahhh, thanks for the help!!!

Brian

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fireman

I couldn't help to notice you ask this same question on an other Forum word for word. Only I also see you got grief and punishment instead of answers. I don't like to carry tales but that wasn't right.

7. fireman1173005

yea, people don't seem to be as nice there. I appreciate everyone's help!!!

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fire,
    KAYCDS and Ric are right. Is this for cool season or warm season grass? On cool season grass--most 3-way products are used a little heavier, 1.1 to 1.5 ounce per 1000 sqft. Unless you are applying to southern grasses. Be sure to take a careful look at the label.

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,
    you rock!
    I've been killing myself trying to figure costs of various materials this winter, trying to put together a quick way to figure estimates.
    After reading your post, I went into Microsoft spreadsheet and set up a quick converter for liquid, and one for granular. Man, what a timesaver!
    Thanks,
    Matt. :cool2:

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Matt

Glad you liked it and found it valuable. Excel is very easy to set up and a excellent tool for all kinds of number work. I have costs right at my finger tips at all times. I use a different line for each product then even get totals of tank mixes by the tank and per thousand. Once set up, you only need keep the prices of chemicals current.