How to figure out the market price for your area?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pitbullawns, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Pitbullawns

Pitbullawns LawnSite Member

How do you guys figure out what people are making off lawns in your area? I don't trust the customers because I have heard ludicrous prices from some people (some of which I have discussed in other threads around here). Calling other companies to get quotes seems dishonest. So how do you go about figuring out what is reasonable to charge in your area?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Have a friend call and get an estimate or your grandma. Or simply believe what you hear raise it $5 or $10 and see if you get any jobs.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Figure out what you need to charge to stay afloat and then price in your profit. If you are landing jobs left and right you are too low, if you aren't landing any jobs chances are you may be overpriced. You'll find the happy medium.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

it sucks but its how you learn when your get estimates. the honest way is to simply ask somepeople/friends you know what they pay. or while doing estimates simply ask, do you mind me asking what you have been paying? i have a $35 min but its different in each area. even then i make exceptions for elderly and exceptionally small lawns
  5. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i now try to get $70hr, but in the mowing business you have compete a lot more than the landscaping side of things.

don't work for cheap or you'll go bankrupt...i came close last year:hammerhead:
  6. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

WOW $70 an hour? that is unheard of around here. We only get $50-60 in the winter, plowing snow. I am lucky to bid jobs at $50 in the summer. Guess it depends on where you live. There are guys by me that charge $30 an hour. and i come in at $45-$50 but i edge and trim and make it look nice but people just dont get why i am so much higher then the other guy? It is because your lawn looks great when i am done and looks like sin when they are done..

My father always said.... you pay more for quality. That applies to every thing in life.
  7. turf&snow98

turf&snow98 LawnSite Member

60-70 hr sounds fair.
  8. Southernlandscape343

Southernlandscape343 LawnSite Member

50-60 an hour? Is this for a crew or just by yourself?
  9. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i'm a solo operation. i was working for $40-50/hr, but i hard time keeping money in my bank account. i'm trying to go after commercials and the high end residentials more this year. in my area, there are a lot of rich people so $70/hr for cleanups, landscaping, etc is a good price for high quality work (a 4 hour cleanup would cost $240, etc). my old boss was at $100/hr and he got it...i just need his customers.

a whole lot of working for nothing still leaves you with nothing. so now my theory is charge for my work or don't work at all, stick with a part time job.

as far as the mowing, i shoot for $70/hr, but it's very hard in the lower end neighborhoods. in the high end neighborhoods who DO want quality, it's easier. a 45 min mow/trim/edge/blow with a walker is $50. i hate doing quick cuts for cheap though in the end you may make the same profit. every lawn and garden bed gets edged with a trimmer...only takes another 5 mins and makes you stand out from the rest. and i don't freak out anymore if i do go 5 mins over since i'm trying to promote quality instead of quality.

...i dunno:dancing:
  10. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

Time spent on average yard is 25 minutes, crew of 2, the crew will do 2 yards per hour, and we price that at $45.00 minimum so they bill about $90.00 per hour. This allows 10 minutes for equipment repair, driving, breaks, paperwork.

Works well for us