How to fill my client roster

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Agriscape2006, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Agriscape2006

Agriscape2006 LawnSite Member

I just started my first year of full time lawn care and landscaping. I would like some advice on the best way to fill my client roster I have accumulated most of the accounts I now have through word of mouth. I need about 25 more clients thanks any advice is appreciated.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ask your current customers to refer you to a neighbor,and if they get you another full year client, give them a free cut, or a discounted cut ...

word of mouth is the best return on investment for advertising there already worked for you right....
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Offer your existing clients a deal or discount or a one time add on service (mulch) for a referral program. Or have some flyers/doorhangers made up and target a specific area close to home or close to your others to pick up the rest that you want.
  4. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

Flyers, flyers, oh did I mention flyers! You may have to dump about 10,000 or so but you will get results. We dumped about 1,000 or so last week and picked up 8 new accounts. One lady was getting mowed for 30.00, we sold her on quality for 38.00.
  5. daveintoledo

he already has 25 customers, at a 2 % return on flyers thats calls not jobs, ....., its much cheaper to try and get each customer to get you one referal.... and it keeps the routes tighter since they are refering there neighbors...
  6. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

If I relied on referrals I would have only added 5 customers last year. Also if my customers want to refer me that's their business, but you can't sit around waiting for your customers to do your sales work for you. As for cost, 5000 color flyers were 166.84, 1000 handed out last week and 8 new accounts in an area where we already had accounts. Tight routes come with time, so keep flooding the area you want to work in with flyers. I needed 30 new accounts for this coming season and I already signed 14, 30 won't be a problem and it's all with flyers only.
  7. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Do a little of both. Ask all existing customers and flyer all around your current clients to keep tight routes. Also, try upselling some more services if you do so and that will help to add some jobs.
  8. daveintoledo

you see, that is only your experience, you will find that as you are here longer, you get alot of other peoples experience... ...nothing wrong with flyers, heck put out as many as you can.... but it is lnly a small part of the advertising process....

flyers for me last year 14 customers, referals from those customers, 13 new customers..... cost of those last 13 customers, 0 cost of the first 14 , 300.... so i got 27 customers for the cost of 14.....

not being a jerk or hard a$$ but think about it, maybe if you improved your standards of work, you would get more referals....offer referal bonus of some kind... its the cheapest and best advertising in the world....word of mouth
  9. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I pass out 1,000 flyers everyday, and I generate 10 or more new customers each day. I'm a big believer in flyers. $166 for 5,000 flyers? was that color? I get 10,000 flyer for $150.00 but they are black and white. Basically .02 per copy and then cut, I get 2 flyers on one page. I also keep a tight route, I do 20 days of 1,000 flyers then take a few days off and start over. I guess that would be a 20 mile radius around my house. Lots of good neighborhoods where I live, small yds 5,000 sq ft $30-$35 a pop
  10. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

Hey you must need to improve your standards like me (according to daveintoledo) otherwise we wouldn't have to do flyers we would live off of referrals from our other customers.:eek: