How to find a good Hardscaper

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tvvbsn, May 14, 2007.

1. tvvbsn

tvvbsn LawnSite Member

I came across this site and was looking for some advice on what to look for when looking for a landscaper.

I need a couple of retaining walls that will be between 3 and 4 feet tall, and one that will need to be more like 6-7 feet tall. Also I need a bunch of fill dirt moved.

A lot of people can make a wall look good initially, so just looking at some examples of work that the landscaper has done isn't always a good indication of how good of a job they do?

What criteria should a landscaper meet and what do I specifically need to look at when looking at examples of their work?

I am in SE South Dakota if location plays into this at all

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

1. Ask for references.....of jobs NOT done 6 months ago - but jobs completed 3-5 years ago. It takes 3-5 years to see the effects of poor workmanship.

2. Because of the wall height that you stated - you'll need a geo-technical engineer to engineer the wall(s). The engineer SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST CALL. The engineer can also recommend some good contractors.

3. Check their licensing background. In our state (MD) - a contractor must be licensed by a home improvement commission. And through the commission - one can verify if there are any complaints on a contractor.

3. Don't come off as a demanding, paranoid homeowner. A good contractor will sniff this out in a heartbeat and will not be interested in workin with you. Be polite. Smile. And ask alot of questions - but your presentation is just as important as the contractor's presentation. We screen our prospective clients just like they screen us.