how to find a good hire?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bobcatnj, Mar 9, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

im trying to hire some mexicans. i have hired white guys in the past but was dissapointed and kept firing them. i put up flyers in the income apartments where 80 of them live in one building. i get calls from them but i cant understand what the hell there saying.i try talking to them about pay, drivers lic, hours, ss card, how that kind of stuff and they answer yes to everything even if its not a yes or no question. how do u deal with these people? i dont want to put an ad in the newspaper, they charge 600.00 for 10 days.
  2. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

I am in the Pennsylvania and we have all nationalities here, just as everywhere else in the U.S., but I don't really run into the problem of potential employees not speaking english. Hiring is defininitely an interesting process and seems to me a lot like "gambling" with players that know how to bluff VERY WELL.
    If you don't have a bi-lingual crew leader for a non-english-speaking crew, you are headed for disaster and a probable lawsuit that could be based on a simple misunderstanding of some sorts. I would really think things through. Best of luck.
  3. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to hire non english speaking crews, you have to learn spanish.
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. bobcatnj, sounds like you would have better luck not hiring hispanics, as you already seem to have bias against them. JMO:nono:
  5. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

its america. if they wanna work they better speak english. im tired of hearing this crap you have to speak spanish. if i went to mexico looking for a job i would have to speak spanish to get a job.
  6. RB Lawn

RB Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ga

What kind of problems were you having with the white guys? Maybe it could be pay related, do you pay good wages?If not, that could be a cause of problems.Are you doing background checks on the guys you hire, that might help. Do you offer any benefits? There are lots of things that could cause the people you are hiring to not care about the job they are doing. Also, like stated, you might be setting yourself up for trouble by hiring people that can't understand you.Good luck.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I AGREE 100%...Welcome to America:usflag: If you can't speak at least basic english, don't bother getting off the boat, plane etc! Speak ENGLISH or get the f#@$ out!!!!!!!!!:usflag: :usflag:
  8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

you forgot to add "getting out of the tunnel"
  9. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

I employ a Thai girl who is a pretty recent arrival.She has been here for two months with her work visa and has studied her heart out to learn english.She is going very well and my best worker without a doubt.
    She had expressed to me at her interview not only her work ethic but her desire to advance and her top priority in her life at the present time was to become fully conversant in english.She has proved to be of her word and is my highest payed employee now after 1.5 months.
    The bottom line is there are good ones out there you just have to find them!
  10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

ANd don't eve think about coming to canada damn it!:nono: :canadaflag: