How to fit mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EliteImpressions, Oct 3, 2007.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Im going finally start my business next year and 50% of my would be clients have gates that are 36". Do you guys just tilt the mower (I will be by myself)?

Im having a hard time justifying buying a 32" mower for the same price as a 36" Plus I dont have the cash to have 3 mowers (21", 32"36") Oh, and most my properties are 6-7k.

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would not fight the the gate for the extra 4 inches. I would go with the 32. The extra 4 inches won't buy you much on those lawns you mentioned. I am speaking from experience, I had a 36 that I could not get through many 36 inch gates.
  3. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

You don't have to tilt the mower. You can hook the mower right around one of the post and it will go right through the gate. Just approach the gate at an angle and just as the first side is going past the post turn the mower toward that post. As you do this the mower will go right through the gate.

I was able to get a 61" Walk behind through a 48" gate.
  4. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Thanks for both oppinons.

I will have to make a tough choice soon.
  5. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

If you can afford it, just get a 32" stander. It's more efficient than ANY 36" (other than a 36" stander of course). It's all we need for any other mower in our operation.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to see a picture of this.....I can't get a 36" through a 36" hardly. Are your fences cedar with 4x4 post on each side of gate?
  7. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Round cedar post. It was a 4 foot gate so the opening was probably 50" - 52" wide. Plus the Bunton has a lot of deck overhang due to the narrow wheelbase. It was tight but it went through. I would approach from the left at maybe a 45 degree angle. As I was passing the post on the left I would turn the machine to the left and deck would hook right around the post. I did it from the left side but it should work on either side. My gate popped of its hinges so it was never in the way. This was at my last house. My neighbor used to get his tractor through his gate but it was only slightly bigger than the gate. It was not as easy for him to get the tractor through though since you can't spin them on a wheel.

There should have no problems getting a slightly bigger walk behind through as long as he can approach from an angle.

Here at the machine shop we get 12 foot steel bars through a 10 foot door using the same method on a fork lift.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just buy the 32 no hassle needed. You dont want to be fighting a machine when productivity is needed.