How to fix it.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnPro in NC, May 29, 2002.

1. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Have recently been asked by a potential customer to take over his lawn. Bermuda Grass (Hybrid) Problem is it is about 4 " high. I told him that was WAY to high that it should be 3/4 to 1.5 tops.

In your professional experience should I, all at once take it down that low to say 3/4"

Thanks

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

somebody will tell u about bermuda,but i can tellu its not a good idea to take it dn all at once.it might go dormant on u an then u got nothin to do for a while. course my thinking is influenced by our dry weather.

3. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Cut it! As hot and humid it is here, it'll be ready for another cut in a week.

4. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Bermuda can most likely handle a hair cut like that, but why do it? I think that 3/4" - 1.5" is way too low. This time of year especially, you want to maintain the grasses ( almost all in our area ) at at least 3 ". More top growth = more root structure in general. This will help turfgrasses to resist heat stress and pathogens.

my .02

5. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

LawnPro,
    I am cutting most of my Bermuda at 2.5" right now. That's on the one's who care what their lawn looks like. The one's who want me to cut it extra short get 2". Don't know what your rain situation is right now but we have just got our first substantial rain in about 2 months today. If you're getting normal rainfall you might can keep in shorter. I would not take it from 4 to 1.5" in one cutting though. Just my nickel's worth

6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

lawnpro,
    around here in TN we cut our berm yards at 3" to allow them to withstand the lack of rain and high heat stress that will take place in a few months. a shorter yard will not take the heat and will bake thus dieing. If the customer want's it that short and says his way or no way then do gradual cuts so you can train the grass to be healthy at that level. one drastic cut will shock it and right now it's used to height that helps the roots stay cooler. lower cut berm will not get a deep green most want. 3-3.5 inch yards will maintain a deep green almost all summer if watered.

Scot