1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to fix uneven turf spots

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TXbulldog, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

What is the best way to fix uneven turf spots? I was thinking that I would fill in the low spots with soil, soak the area with water, then go over the area with a large roller to blend it with the terrain. What do you think?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah you can fill in low spots with dirt as long as they have been there for several years. Somtimes dips in yards are caused by contractors filling in holes with leftover junk that breaks down over time and causes reaccuring low spots in the yard and will need to be removed. If the low spots have been there forever you can fill them in with good topsoil and level off with a box blade. I wouldn't roll the dirt, just level it off and let it settle for a couple weeks with spring rains it shouldn't take long for it to settle. If you need to ad a little dirt after its done settling do so and then work up the top layer and seed with good quality seed and roll the seed into the dirt. Don't fill your roller up all the way, just enough to press the seed into the dirt.
  3. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

If they're small areas you can get a leveler rake from golf course suppliers. It works well, I use it for divots on tees and areas 3-4 ft. sq. It works much better than a lawn rake. It's not used for deep holes.
  4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Pull up the sod and level out the soil underneath